OCS Server Disk Partitioning RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Just beginning to plan out our OCS deployment and we have a bunch of Dell servers with dual SAS 146 GIG drives with no additional Raid arrays. Can you make a suggestion on how I should format the single disk array? Should I carve out a C partition for the OS (server 2008 Enterprise) and create a "D" partition for the server role applications or should everything just be installed in a single partition?

Thanks
    blaytonUC
    Friday, July 31, 2009 3:49 PM

Answers

• That is completely up to you and doesn't really matter what you are installation on the system.  If you plan to have a single RAID array for all spindles then using one or more partitions really doesn't affect performance as all drives will be read/written during I/O operations.

That said, typical 'best practices' are to create a smaller Boot/System Partition for just the OS files (~25GB) and then use the remainder for a separate Data partition to install third-party applications and store data.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 1:20 PM

All replies

• What type of a deployment are you doing?  Are you doing a single Standard server?  CWA?  Front Ends?  Archiving?  QoE?

For our deployment, all of our servers only have a single hard drive with a single partition, but with role that has a database, we have additional drives (SAN) for the database and log files.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 6:18 PM
  • That is completely up to you and doesn't really matter what you are installation on the system.  If you plan to have a single RAID array for all spindles then using one or more partitions really doesn't affect performance as all drives will be read/written during I/O operations.

That said, typical 'best practices' are to create a smaller Boot/System Partition for just the OS files (~25GB) and then use the remainder for a separate Data partition to install third-party applications and store data.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the reply.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Standard OCS2007 server deployment. The specific role I was refferring to is the front end role.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 4:48 PM