Remote Desktop Support RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS at my parents home.  When they have a question for me where I need o see their desktop I have no way to do this.  I can use remote desktop but this kicks them off their computer.  I there an add in or app that would allow me to view/take control of their computer while they are still logged in and able to see what I am doing?

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:40 PM

All replies

• That's how Remote Desktop to a desktop computer works. You can use Remote Assistance instead, which will allow your parents to send you a request for assistance and share their desktop with you.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Nope but I wish there was.  A VNC add-on for instance.  I keep hoping one of the VNC companies (UltraVNC or TightVNC) will create a WHS add-on for that.  Or maybe someone like Logmein or Teamviewer etc.  Or how about Live Mesh????

In my case it's not even for me but my Mom would like to access her PC remotely and the easiest way would be through the WHS portal.  Since she has XP Home she can't use Remote Desktop.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Hi all,

There actualy isa free tool out that has been around for about 2 years. http://www.mesh.com. This is a cool tool that I have used for a long time. It was built on RedDog, from the original Groove team that was brought with Ray when he was aquired by Microsoft. It is free and allows you to tak control without any user intervention and they can see what youa re doing. It allows you to send files over and share files, etc..... I have even had success loading the client up on WHS 1 and I can access it ias if I was sitting in front of the computer. it is secure and th client even loads at boot. Everyone should be using this tool.

I have a cool story where I got an e-mail from a user in my office in Long Beach, CA they were having an issue on there desktop. I was in a meeting in Redmond, WA. I connected to the persons computer via the mesh and fixed the issue in less then 5 min of them sendin the e-mail. I wa sin Redmond for a week an no one of my 200 users I upport had any idia I was not in my office.

I actually use this to support both my parents as you have stated.

Feel free to call wih any question 714-681-4639

Jay Magness.

As others have stated I am nota part of any team at Microoft I jut use all there products :-)

"Every Morning I look through WINDOWS and I see the Cloud"

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Hi all,

Well I have done some testing and the Mesh WORKS great with WHS "Vail" You can connect to the server by loading the Mesh Client and have full control frm anaywhere on the internet. You can add mesh folders and work with them and use the mesh to support others in the Mesh you have establiched.

As a side not you do not loose te screen resolution onWHS "Vail" as you did on WHS 1.

Anyone can call me about this if you like 714-681-4639

Jay

Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:42 PM