Daily Mileage RRS feed

• Question

• One of the shortcomings I see in this latest version of Streets and Trips is daily mileage planning.  The driving directions display total mileage and each segment, but for planning a long trip, I really need to know what my miles will be on any day.  Towing an RV and knowing my speed will be constant, it helps to know when to plan nightly stops and try to find a campground.  Does anyone else feel this would be usefull?
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:32 PM

All replies

• I find the software useless without this functionality and will not buy after the trial version unless I can find some way to display mileage by segment.
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:43 PM
  • The driving mileage is automatically presented in the driving directions but it takes a little simple math to calculate the mileage from point "A" to point "B", that is subtracting one distance from another. 

Are you saying the burden of doing that calculation is a show-stopper for you and that none of the other functions of Streets and Trips outway the absence of this calculation?

Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:15 PM
  • The driving mileage is automatically presented in the driving directions but it takes a little simple math to calculate the mileage from point "A" to point "B", that is subtracting one distance from another. 

Are you saying the burden of doing that calculation is a show-stopper for you and that none of the other functions of Streets and Trips outway the absence of this calculation?

For me, this isn't a show stopper, but it would certainly be a very useful feature to have an additional column that shows mileage on a daily basis.  The calculation is trivial, but bothersome on a repetitious basis.  Of course, one can set up a spreadsheet and copy / paste the driving directions into it to get this functionality, but that also is a bother.  

I am really surprised that MS hasn't listened to its user community and made this a feature of the program.  I was really hoping it would be in ST 2013, which would have prompted me to upgrade.  As it is, I am sticking with the 2011 version now that it plays nicely with Win 7 on the Lenovo 220Xt tablet computer (for a long time, it would not coexist with a number of other programs and hung up at the Startup Screen).

MS, please add Daily Mileage as a column in the Directions pane.  Make it optional if you must, but give us that capability.  Thanks for listening.

Don

dvhirst
    Lenovo TP X220T, Core i7, 8 GB main memory, 300 GB disk, Win 7 Pro, 64-bit.
    Homebrew, AMD Phenom II 965, 16 GB main memory, 1.6 TB disk, Win 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

• Edited by dvhirst Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:35 PM
  • One of the shortcomings I see in this latest version of Streets and Trips is daily mileage planning.  The driving directions display total mileage and each segment, but for planning a long trip, I really need to know what my miles will be on any day.  Towing an RV and knowing my speed will be constant, it helps to know when to plan nightly stops and try to find a campground.  Does anyone else feel this would be usefull?

Yes, this would be very helpful...

MS, where are you?

Don

dvhirst
    Lenovo TP X220T, Core i7, 8 GB main memory, 300 GB disk, Win 7 Pro, 64-bit.
    Homebrew, AMD Phenom II 965, 16 GB main memory, 1.6 TB disk, Win 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

• Edited by dvhirst Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:38 PM