Swapping An Ide System Drive Out For A Sata drive, Couple Of Quick Questions:) RRS feed

• Question

• hi:)

been having probs with my server that i've narrowed down to the ageing 400gb ide sys drive, so i want to swap it out for a 1tb sata drive i have.

i also have another 400gb ide drive in there, which is set as slave and the sys drive is the master on the same ribbon,

so my question is, if i remove the sys drive which is set as the master, will i then have to change the other drive from "slave" to "master" as it'll be the only ide drive on the ribbon and indeed in the server case?? or do i just pull the sys drive and leave everything else as it is?

eventually i want to get rid of the other 400gb drive but it'll have to soldier on for a whiole longer:)

hope that makes sense:-/

cheers

Chris
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:02 PM

All replies

• You may have significant problems if you try to replace an IDE drive with a SATA drive; an older BIOS may refuse to present a SATA drive as a boot device, in which case you will probably not be offered the reinstallation/recovery option. You'll be better off if you buy a 1 TB IDE drive instead.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:17 PM
  • hi Ken,

i've just tried a reinstallation and it is indeed only giving me the "new installation" option:(

are there any other options available to me as i'd like to get the ide drives out of there if they're going to cause me probs like this in the future.

cheers

Chris
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:56 PM
  • Sure. Pull all your drives drives, install one or more SATA drives (preferably with one connected to port 0/1 on the motherboard), configure your server to present those drives in legacy IDE mode (you give up a small amount of theoretical performance, but you gain hugely in compatibility), and do a fresh installation. Then copy the data off your drives following the procedures in this FAQ.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:03 PM
  • great thanks Ken.

so basically i do a fresh install on the new 1tb, then attach the others one by one copying the data over manually, then add each drive to the pool once i'm happy i have the data off it.

is that righ?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Yes, that is correct. As copy target use the UNC path to the server shares.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:30 PM
  • great thanks Olaf,

i'm a little confused as to what you mean by " use the UNC path to the server shares ", could you expand on that at all?  possibly dumb it down a little for me:-/

is that any different to method you explained in your how to recover data after a server failure guide?

thanks again for the help.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:59 PM
  • No it is not different.
    Do not copy to d:\shares on the server, but always to \\server\sharename (which is the Uniform Naming Convention path) or via the shortcut Shared folders on server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:35 PM

• ok thanks very much for the explanation:)

is there a particular reason not to copy directly to d:\shares ? i read something on google about recovering data from whs disks after a failure and it stated that you could copy direct to d:\shares?? Not trying to sound as if i'm questioning you, i'd just like to know for my info so i can learn a bit more:)

thanks again Olaf.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:51 PM
  • ok thanks very much for the explanation:)

is there a particular reason not to copy directly to d:\shares ?

Because A) it's unsupported and B) Drive Extender might have problems with it and not handle the files as it should.

i read something on google about recovering data from whs disks after a failure and it stated that you could copy direct to d:\shares??

Whoever said that was wrong.  You should never copy anything to D:\shares.

Not trying to sound as if i'm questioning you, i'd just like to know for my info so i can learn a bit more:)

thanks again Olaf.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:59 PM
  • excellent thank you.

this is the text i read,

"Copy all the folders in "shared" to either D:\shares or to \\SERVER\sharename (where "SERVER" is your server's name, and "sharename" is the respective shares). Once you've cleared the drive, either just move on to the next drive, or verify which drive you've emptied and add it to the pool. Be careful when adding the drives, as if you add the wrong drive, you will lose the data that was on it"

which was on this wiki http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Migrate_Shares_and_Backups_to_New_System

hopefully nobody has already fallen foul of this :-/
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:12 PM
  • There's what's safe and will work, and then there's what Microsoft recommends. In this particular case, connecting a drive to your server, logging in to the desktop, and dragging/dropping in Windows Explorer from Q:\foldername to D:\Shares\foldername is actually not going to cause problems. Microsoft recommends against it, and doing it is unsupported, because there are tools that could cause problems copying from a drive to your shares via D:\Shares\etc., and because the use of Remote Desktop is unsupported. (And in this case it's actually a technical violation of the EULA, though you shouldn't be concerned...)

The best practice, in a practical sense, is to connect the drive to your server, log in using remote desktop, and copy from your drive to \\localhost\sharename (which is the same as using the shortcut on the server's desktop). This gives you the benefit of a local copy, while accessing the shares as Microsoft intended (more or less).

Regarding the We Got Served wiki, there are likely to be minor inconsistencies and inaccuracies, as with all wikis. Best practices may change, or an update may mean that a procedure that used to work no longer does, etc.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:25 PM
  • There's what's safe and will work, and then there's what Microsoft recommends. In this particular case, connecting a drive to your server, logging in to the desktop, and dragging/dropping in Windows Explorer from Q:\foldername to D:\Shares\foldername is actually not going to cause problems.

Not true, Ken.  I've tried it and any file I copied to D:\shares would not play on my XBox 360 (although it did work on my PC).  And a friend of mine tried it and he couldn't some of the files he did it with to play on anything (XBox 360, PC, etc.)

Microsoft recommends against it, and doing it is unsupported, because there are tools that could cause problems copying from a drive to your shares via D:\Shares\etc., and because the use of Remote Desktop is unsupported. (And in this case it's actually a technical violation of the EULA, though you shouldn't be concerned...)

The best practice, in a practical sense, is to connect the drive to your server, log in using remote desktop, and copy from your drive to \\localhost\sharename (which is the same as using the shortcut on the server's desktop). This gives you the benefit of a local copy, while accessing the shares as Microsoft intended (more or less).

Regarding the We Got Served wiki, there are likely to be minor inconsistencies and inaccuracies, as with all wikis. Best practices may change, or an update may mean that a procedure that used to work no longer does, etc.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:52 PM
  • Really? I'm pretty sure mine will. Sounds like something broken in the media streaming, rather than a Windows Home Server problem per se. I'd report it on Connect. :)

I'll also note that there are places where Microsoft has one working directly with folders that fall under the control of Drive Extender (backing up/restoring the backup database, for example).

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:09 PM
  • Really? I'm pretty sure mine will. Sounds like something broken in the media streaming, rather than a Windows Home Server problem per se. I'd report it on Connect. :)

I'll also note that there are places where Microsoft has one working directly with folders that fall under the control of Drive Extender (backing up/restoring the backup database, for example).

It's pretty hard to blame it on media streaming as the exact same file(s), when copied to the shares the proper way, worked fine (I did this repeatedly with various files and the version through D:\shares\videos never worked, the same file through \\server\videos worked every time).  I will say though that this was post-PP1 and pre-PP2 (and only video, I never tried music and/or photos).  However, since it's been over a year, I'll give it another whirl...
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:15 PM