none
Backup Service Not Running - Network Critical RRS feed

• Question

• I have re-installed WHS and am still having the problem where the backup service does not start - rebooting the server does nothing it never starts.  All 18 drives show as healthy.  I have tried all things suggested to correct this, but nothing seems to work.
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:45 PM

Answers

• Hello,

can you find more details in the server event log?

You could also try to delete the backup database and start from the scratch:

On the server open a command prompt.
    Enter following commands:

net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    d:
    cd  \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    del *.*

(You can also perform the deletion of all files in that folder from Windows Explorer after stopping the mentioned services, if you are not so sure about the command prompt.)
    After completing the deletion (ensure that no files did remain in the folder) restart either the services or the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by HTPCat Monday, May 10, 2010 4:50 AM
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:53 PM

All replies

• Hello,

can you find more details in the server event log?

You could also try to delete the backup database and start from the scratch:

On the server open a command prompt.
    Enter following commands:

net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    d:
    cd  \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    del *.*

(You can also perform the deletion of all files in that folder from Windows Explorer after stopping the mentioned services, if you are not so sure about the command prompt.)
    After completing the deletion (ensure that no files did remain in the folder) restart either the services or the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by HTPCat Monday, May 10, 2010 4:50 AM
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:53 PM
  • When I type in the command prompt

net stop whsbackup

I get the following message: The Windows Home Server Backup service is not started.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 8:03 PM
  • I used the above command prompt and deleted all of my backups and it the backup service has been running for a little while now.  Looks like it solved the problem Thanks!
    Monday, May 10, 2010 4:50 AM