none
Merge Two Forums ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello !

I am not really sure if this thread should belong to Forums Issues (not product support) forum or Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums. I am creating this thread in Forums Issues (not product support) forum anticipating that, it would get more attention of the Forum Administrators/Owners since I see them in this forum more often than the other forum.

This is not an issue per se however, can be considered as a request.

Today, I noticed that Server General forum name has been changed. Earlier it was only "General Forum", now it has been renamed to " Windows Server General Forum". That was indeed a needed change. Thanks to the person/team who was responsible for that. 

The Term "General Forum" was too generic and used to create confusion. To avoid OPs asking off topic questions in Server General Forum, I had to create a sticky post.

Since the forum name is changed now, I believe that would help new OPs to choose and post their questions in appropriate forum.

Till now  Windows Server General Forum is being used for General discussion/queries on Windows Server versions: 2003, 2008, 2008 R2.

However, the recent change indicates the Forum would support All Windows Server versions: 2003, 2008, 2008 R2 and 2012.

Here is a catch though, there exists a dedicated forum Windows Server 2012 General Discussions/Queries:   Windows Server 2012 General forum 

Now, this would likely to create confusion again (! ) since, OPs would not be very sure where exactly to post their questions ?

Since both the aforementioned forums pretty much facilitates same function, in my perception, it would be a good idea to "Merge" these two forums if it's an Feasible option. 

Forum Administrators/Owners might want to look into this. Ed, Jundan any thoughts on this ?

Dave Patrick, Richard Mueller - you might have some inputs as well ! (I hope, Dave and Richard would come across this thread)

Thanks

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on  Vote As Helpful & click on  Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Interview with a Wiki Ninja: Santosh Bhandarkar, Windows Server and Directory Service Expert

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Santosh,

Thank you for pointing this out.

The request has been submitted to the brand owner for review and approval.

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support
    EPX Service Enginerring Tier1

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:44 AM
  • I submitted this request as a task to the Forums Support team to discuss with the various stakeholders.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:27 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Santosh,

The request has been sent to the forum owner as well as brand owner for review and approval. I will update you here if the request is approved.

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:21 AM

All replies

• It actually really is a suggestion (in my opinion). I understand what you mean and would be the same opinion.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:47 AM
  • +1

I would agree, there's no longer any reason to have Windows Server 2012 in a separate forum.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:55 AM
  • I agree, there is no longer a need for a separate forum to handle Windows Server 2012. That just adds to the confusion. The existing Windows Server General forum can handle all questions.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Santosh, I too agree with you. Its good idea to have a common forum instead of having separate forum for windows 2012.

Yes, its true!!! if we have multiple forums people get confusion where they want post questions.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 3:14 AM
  • I submitted this request as a task to the Forums Support team to discuss with the various stakeholders.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:27 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks so much Ed.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:48 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

The request has been submitted to the brand owner for review and approval.

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Thanks Yubo.

Regards, Santosh

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:23 AM
  • There are 2 more forums which can be considered for merging.

Setup Deployment forum (2003, 2008, 2008 R2) and Windows Server 2012 Setup (Only 2012)

Regards, Santosh

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:31 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

The request has been sent to the forum owner as well as brand owner for review and approval. I will update you here if the request is approved.

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support

Thanks a lot Yubo.

Regards, Santosh

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

I have included you in the mail thread to discuss your request of merging forums. Please feel free to reply the mail thread if you want to share any idea with us.

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:07 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

Just get an update from the forum owner. The merging forum request will be hold on now as it is being driven by a forum owner. By the way, The 2012 branded forums were originally the beta forums.

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:14 AM
  • Thanks for the information Yubo, appreciated.

Regards, Santosh

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:27 AM