How can I restore a Onecare backup without Onecare? RRS feed

• Question

• Since Onecare is going away soon and my dad’s subscription expired this month, I installed Kaspersky Internet Security on my dad's computer.  Now I need to restore a full backup that was made using Onecare.

I tried restoring using the Backup and Restore Center but it does not recognize the backup made with OneCare.  Ugh.  My dad lives in a rural area where they don’t have broadband yet, so I don't have the option to remotely uninstall Kaspersky, reinstall Onecare, restore backups, uninstall Onecare, reinstall Kaspersky, then update all the Kaspersky files. 

I'm hoping that when the Onecare team decided to axe Onecare they came up with a contingency plan (since they are the ones forcing us off Onecare). Please tell me there is a utlity that does not involve rejoining zip files.  Help!

me
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• See this thread for some options for restoring One Care backups to Windows 7 - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/ed189402-665c-4785-a49c-e7fe6384f6be
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:42 PM
  •  

I'm hoping that when the Onecare team decided to axe Onecare they came up with a contingency plan (since they are the ones forcing us off Onecare). Please tell me there is a utlity that does not involve rejoining zip files.  Help!

me
    My fingers are crossed that a utility is made available, but I can tell you that there is none yet available. Your choices, as outlined in the thread jim linked to, are to manually unzip the files and rejoin those source files that were split or to restore the backup to another PC that you can install OneCare on and then move the data to the destination PC over the network or an external drive. I recognize that these are potentially painful solutions.
    If I were in your shoes, and the destination PC is running XP or Vista, I'd disable or remove Kaspersky, install the OneCare trial, perform the restore, uninstall OneCare, and reinstall Kaspersky...remotely - still painful, but less painful than the other options.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:00 PM