Can't install PP1 after uninstalling Beta RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the Beta for PP1 on top of an existing install of WHS with all updates applied (not a fresh install of PP1 Beta).

Anyway, I uninstalled PP1 Beta as directed and received an error during the uninstall.  I believe PP1 Beta was not uninstalled, however it is no longer listed in my Add/Remove programs list.

If I try to install the PP1 Release version, it tells me it is already installed (however I have never installed the Release version so I assume it thinks the Beta is the release version as mentioned in other threads telling people to uninstall beta first).

If I try and install the beta version again, it tells me it is not the correct version of WHS so i can't re-install Beta so I can try to uninstall it again.

Is there any workaround to this problem. I think my original uninstall problem originated because there was another remote session connected to WHS when I tried to de-install the Beta version.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:08 PM

Answers

• Thanks Olaf,

I had already tried doing just that, but could never get it to uninstall.  Said it was missing some files.

Anyway, I re-installed last night and what a pain.  After about 3 hours I finally got to a point where it said it was intalling home server and it kept failing half way through.  The error said a service had not responded in the right amount of time.  It said it was WDS which some people said was Windows Deployment Server and other said it was Windows Desktop Search.

Anyway, I finally launched the services manager and watched and it would just down WSEARCH service and wouldn't start it back up.

So, when I saw it shut down, I started it manually real quick and it finished the install.

After applying all the updates it went out and found PP1 on it's own.

Good thing was while it was trying to install WHS I got all my device drivers and programs re-setup.  I finished about 6am and started around 9pm.  A big portion of that was going through my data drive I think to recreate the index information.

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:50 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

You can confirm if it's still there, by checking in the Resources section of the Settings page in the Console. When PP1 is installed, the versions will show 6.0.1800.0.

If you remote into the server, is there any folder still showing in Explorer? Also, maybe trying to reinstall the beta and then un-installing again, might work.

Colin

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Your best bet if you can't install the PP! RTM bits is unfortunately going to be a server reinstallation. This is a special installation mode which will preserve the data in your shares and (normally) your backup database, though you will have to recreate users, reinstall add-ins, re-do OS customizations, etc.

If, when you boot off the OEM DVD, you don't get the option for a server reinstallation in addition to a new installation, you may need to provide drivers for some/all of your storage pool drives to be available. If they are all available (visible on the hardware discovery screen) already, then something else is wrong.

Get back to us if you have any additional questions.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Well I definitely have the beta still installed. 

Really, a whole server re-install.  For me that will be a big undertaking because I use this as a home automation controller, I have drivers installed for at least 10 USB devices, lots of external software, hi-end video card ...

There isn't some registry change that can be made to allow it to reinstall the beta or an uninstall program that can be used?

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Have you tried to do an over-install of the beta, it 'might' just install on top of the 'old' one. Also, you could try the Microsoft Clean Up Utility.

The only drawback, is this is a server with potentially valuable information. Personally, if I couldn't get a problem fixed relatively easily, then I'd do as Ken says, and do a Re-Install. It's a straightforward process, and speaking from experience, isn't a great effort. In fact, in the long term, it could well be a good step, as even if you manage to apparently sort the problem, you don't know what is happening underneath.

Colin

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:55 PM
  • I have tried re-installing the beta as mentioned inthe original post.  It says that it can't install over the current version.  It basically won't install over itself which just seems silly really.

Again, it won't be simply and will be a fairly big effort.   I have loads of other stuff installed on this server as applications.  not that I don't yearly re-install XP or Vista just to get PC performance back, but there I've made a base level backup when initially installed.

I guess that is the route, so I'll pick a weekend.  I was hoping there was something that would enable me to re-install the beta that is on there and re-try the uninstall. 

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Been having a look through the server registry, and the Power Pack appears to be deeply ingrained in a large number of the individual WHS operating system files and dll's. I was thinking of a manual effort, but I think it would be doomed to failure!

Good luck with the re-install,

Colin

Edit:

Just had a thought, if you have a monitor/keyboard attached, you could try re-booting, and using F8, to see if it offers you a 'last known good' option, if so, it might roll back to prior to your un-install efforts.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:13 PM
  • If this is a home-built system (I assume it is) you can try booting to safe mode and restoring to a restore point before you uninstalled the beta, then go through and uninstall/install again. I don't guarantee that it will work, though.

Edit: Olaf is correct; there is no system restore in Windows Home Server, as I've pointed out to others in the past. The supported option is server reinstallation.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:33 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    If this is a home-built system (I assume it is) you can try booting to safe mode and restoring to a restore point before you uninstalled the beta, then go through and uninstall/install again. I don't guarantee that it will work, though.

There is no system restore available in Windows Server 2003 or Windows Home server, at least not with a good amount of hacking around.

So this way is excluded.

For not being able to uninstall the beta, did you somewhen in the past remove the $NTUninstall... subfolders in the Windows folder of your WHS to clean up some disk space?

I did once, and some weeks later I hit the wall as well.

You can check the registry and seek in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB944289

(or what ever the key for the Beta version was) for the value UninstallString.

Here it looks like

"C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB944289$\spuninst\spuninst.exe"

for the final Power Pack.

If this folder refered to is still on your WHS or you can get it back from some self made backup, you can try to start the uninstall process manually.

If this does not exist any more, you can try to take this from another machine or a virtual system, on which you installed WHS original build  + the same patches and after that the Beta of PP1. Copy this to the Windows folder and try to run the spuninst.exe from there.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee for not experiencing fancy side effects, I believe I run into issues with the backup database after doing this during the beta in the same situation.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Thanks Olaf,

I had already tried doing just that, but could never get it to uninstall.  Said it was missing some files.

Anyway, I re-installed last night and what a pain.  After about 3 hours I finally got to a point where it said it was intalling home server and it kept failing half way through.  The error said a service had not responded in the right amount of time.  It said it was WDS which some people said was Windows Deployment Server and other said it was Windows Desktop Search.

Anyway, I finally launched the services manager and watched and it would just down WSEARCH service and wouldn't start it back up.

So, when I saw it shut down, I started it manually real quick and it finished the install.

After applying all the updates it went out and found PP1 on it's own.

Good thing was while it was trying to install WHS I got all my device drivers and programs re-setup.  I finished about 6am and started around 9pm.  A big portion of that was going through my data drive I think to recreate the index information.

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Glad you finally got it working. Most people don't post back with their results.

If you have a large amount of data, then the re-indexing sometimes takes so long, the server appears to be frozen; it's a pity there wasn't some form of progress indication, (number of files done/to do), or something.

Good luck,

Colin 

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:59 PM