CRM 4.0 on Windows 2008/IIS 7.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a problem with my CRM 4.0 installation in a lab environment.  I initially started with a Windows 2003 server and installed 4.0, which worked well.  I then upgraded my Windows 2003 to 2008 which then broke the installation.

I tried uninstalling CRM and re-installing it.  Still the same message:

HTTP Error 404.3 - Not Found

Detailed Error Information

Module StaticFileModule
    Notification ExecuteRequestHandler
    Handler StaticFile
    Error Code 0x80070032
    Requested URL http://egnapp01:5555/default.aspx
    Physical Path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\CRMWeb\default.aspx
    Logon Method Negotiate
    Logon User FOO.ME\Administrator

Most likely causes:
    • It is possible that a handler mapping is missing. By default, the static file handler processes all content.
    • The feature you are trying to use may not be installed.
    • The appropriate MIME map is not enabled for the Web site or application. (Warning: Do not create a MIME map for content that users should not download, such as .ASPX pages or .config files.)
    • If ASP.NET is not installed.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, with the same result.  Searches on the Internet indicate to "install ASP.NET", which is already installed.  According to Microsoft, HTTP 404.3 is a "MIME type restriction".  However to add a handler to it as TEXT/Html would expose the actual script code...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Forgive me for being naive, but I've downloaded the tool and I enabled tracing, created the file for troubleshooting, and enabled more detailed messages.  Now what?

Here's what I got when I tried opening IE and navigating to the URL:

The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map.

Do I need to provide you with any other information?  I'm frankly not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at with this debug tool...

Thank you for your reply,

Chris

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:10 AM
  • After many hours spent trying to figure this out, I believe I'm one step closer.  However I still do not have a completely functional CRM 4.0 in the lab environment.

I added a ".aspx" handler in the handler mappings section and now the page actually comes up correctly.  But I still don't think I've added all of the "handlers" that CRM requires; namely user authentication in a cross-domain situation.

Can anyone assist me with this issue?  Anyone else run into this issue with Windows 2008?  Because it's specifically an issue with IIS 7.0 and the way it modularizes handlers so you can turn on and off functionality.

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Hi Chris,

By "Extensions" in IIS 6.0 it means that you should probably enable ASP.NET 2.0 extensions (via the "Web Service Extensions" tab in the IIS 6.0 administration console, other extensions are typically WebDav, Internet Data Connector and so on).

So check if there is a similar tab in IIS 7 (sorry but I never had IIS 7 under my eyes so I can not say if there is a similar configuration tab).

Otherwise simply type "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis -i" in the command prompt which should do the job.

Do not add you own ASPX handler on the CRM website because CRM add its own to manage the multi-tenant feature through the organization name within the CRM urls.

Hope this can help you

Moumst

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Moumst,

Unfortunately without adding my own ASPX handler to the WEB.CONFIG file within the CRMWeb directory nothing worked.  Specifically, this is what I had to do in order to get CRM 4.0 working on Windows 2008/IIS 7:

<system.webServer>
            <handlers>
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-658900" path="*.asax" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv2.0,bitness32" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-658901" path="*.ascx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv2.0,bitness32" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-658902" path="*.ashx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv2.0,bitness32" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-658903" path="*.asmx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv2.0,bitness32" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-658904" path="*.aspx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv2.0,bitness32" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-658905" path="*.axd" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv2.0,bitness32" responseBufferLimit="0" />
            </handlers>
        </system.webServer>

Only after added these handlers did the application start to work...

-Chris

Saturday, May 31, 2008 7:50 AM
  •  

Had you consulted this article?  Does it help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950100

Sunday, June 1, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Yes I have seen that one in my searches.  Specifically the problem I have encountered is not addressed in this article.

In order to find where I put these entries, I went into IIS Manager under the Handler Mappings section, and add the .ASPX page handler.  After doing so, in the WEB.CONFIG file in the CRMWeb directory I found where the GUI had added the handlers, and I added the rest.  It now works perfectly.

I can't believe I'm the only one experiencing this issue; after countless uninstalls and reinstalls the same problem kept appearing; lack of the appropriate handler mappings...

Oh well, it works now... And since I don't need to worry about the "multi-tenant" feature, I think I'll leave the handlers I've added be...

Thanks,

Chris

Monday, June 2, 2008 4:24 AM
  •  

Hello Chris,

Perhaps a bit late, but I followed this and added a handler:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942032/

That solved my issue which had the same error message.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:31 PM
  • For anyone still looking, make sure you added the Asp.net role! That fixes the problem in a sec.
    • Proposed as answer by _JGO_ Monday, June 28, 2010 6:44 PM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

I need to add a handler too. Can you tell me what's the Mime type for aspx extension ?

Thanks !

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Hi all,

Looks like I am having the same problem.

I don't how to resolve this issue as I am unsure of how to add these handlers.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by ameed sheikh Monday, August 23, 2010 3:21 PM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 1:32 AM
  • I prepare some scripts to setup windows 2008 R2 server and also IIS 7.0 in the default OS installation for making it work for CRM 4.0 deployment. Take a look at following url:

http://ameedsheikh.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/supportfor-microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0-on-windows-server-2008-based-computers/

• Proposed as answer by ameed sheikh Monday, August 23, 2010 3:21 PM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:21 PM