Does WGA phone home? RRS feed

• Question

• After opting in for the install of the WGA Tool by Microsoft Update it downloaded and installed with no problem.  Now, after any start-up of my PC, WGATray wants to access the internet (to a 207.46.xxx.xxx adress.  Since I haven't authorized that program for internet access, Zone Alarm asks if I want to allow or deny access.  For a while I just allowed it but I began to wonder why on earth it would be needed every start-up.  So now I am denying the access.  Why on earth would such access be needed?  What is WGA phoning home about?  Isn't that the kind of behavior typical of malware?  Will Windows Defender sit idly by and allow this to go on?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:31 PM

Answers

• WGA phones home at least EVERY time you boot your PC.

Friday, June 2, 2006 1:24 PM
  • I have to give Microsoft this much credit: I have instructed the OneCare firewall not to let wgatray.exe phone out, and it does not.

I did let it phone home the first time. Then I blocked it. But it continues to try, and I got curious to see what it would do if I let it continue, so I opened the firewall and let it out.

wgatray.exe opened a connection, and then it just sat there...and sat there...and sat there....until I killed it.

The other thing I noticed is that during the download, I was being connected to a lot of sites that had nothing to do with Microsoft, including blah, blah, blah doubleclick.net blah, blah, blah.

I should have copied all of them down, but I was in a state of shock, and then afterward, I was too busy running all my additional antivirus and antispyware scanners. (Which I had already done once that day.)

I have a rather long rant about the subject of WGA, and this is only a small part, but I'll save the rest for a brand new thread.

rl
    Friday, June 2, 2006 3:56 PM

All replies

• WGA phones home at least EVERY time you boot your PC.

Friday, June 2, 2006 1:24 PM
  • I have to give Microsoft this much credit: I have instructed the OneCare firewall not to let wgatray.exe phone out, and it does not.

I did let it phone home the first time. Then I blocked it. But it continues to try, and I got curious to see what it would do if I let it continue, so I opened the firewall and let it out.

wgatray.exe opened a connection, and then it just sat there...and sat there...and sat there....until I killed it.

The other thing I noticed is that during the download, I was being connected to a lot of sites that had nothing to do with Microsoft, including blah, blah, blah doubleclick.net blah, blah, blah.

I should have copied all of them down, but I was in a state of shock, and then afterward, I was too busy running all my additional antivirus and antispyware scanners. (Which I had already done once that day.)

I have a rather long rant about the subject of WGA, and this is only a small part, but I'll save the rest for a brand new thread.

rl
    Friday, June 2, 2006 3:56 PM