Folder disappiered after moving files to it..? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have WHS and have ripped over 100 DVD's to DivX. Under the shared folder: "Videos" I made one folder called "DVD" and another called: "Divx".

I have now 2 times experienced a bad problem.  When moving ripped divx from the local machine (Windows7 RC) I experienced that this time it went extremly slow and just when the moving-indicator was done - the Divx  folder simply disappiered!!!!!! And the 2 movies that should have been moved - hasn't. (but the DVD folder is still intact).
    I will guess I had about 100 divx movies in that folder.

Yesteday I had absout 2 TB free  space and when cheking now - there is about 2,5 TB free space - so somehow - Windows7 RC and WHS manage to delete 1 month of ripping :-(

I have offcouse checked the Recycle Bin (nothing there) and there were no pop-up warnings  about deleting. I have allso checked the whole server for any *.avi files - hoping it had moved someshere else on the server - but sadly no luck.

Can anyone explain to me what is happening (or how I can prevent this)? Maybe a shared folder only "like" to contain 1 subfolder?

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:18 PM

Answers

• Please check the event log on the server - maybe one of the disks failed or has issues, so that the file system entry for the folder got lost.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Hi Olaf.

According to WHS Console - all my HD seems healthy. (Have 2 HD in PC and 4 USB HD)

Thanks for the advice about the Event Viewer - I must admit it's the first time I've ever read it and there seems to be some issues.

Under the "Application" - I have many thousends of these warnings:

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
    Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

But I'm not sure of - what it means or what to do about it?

When it comes to the "System" (Viewer) it looks odd to me. Have a lot of these information:

08-07-2009,22:02:15,MRxSmb,Warning,None,3019,N/A,SERVER,The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

and a lot of these:

07-07-2009,20:32:15,PlugPlayManager,Warning,None,257,N/A,SERVER,"Timed out sending notification of target device change to window of ""LDM Service"""

and a bunch of these:

07-07-2009,13:48:21,W3SVC,Information,None,1074,N/A,SERVER,A worker process with process id of '6132' serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' has requested a recycle because the worker process reached its allowed processing time limit.  

A lot of these:

30-06-2009,11:07:29,MRxSmb,Error,None,8003,N/A,SERVER,The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer SPILLE-PC that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{BDD20009-76E5-4B49. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

I could go on and on.

Is it my ServerPC (Hardware) or WHS Software making all this mess?

You could try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server (starting with the D partition).  One possibility that comes to mind is the "tombstones" are getting lost (due to a bad hard drive), but not the actual files which are stored on the secondary drives.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:38 AM

All replies

• Hi

I have WHS and have ripped over 100 DVD's to DivX. Under the shared folder: "Videos" I made one folder called "DVD" and another called: "Divx".

I have now 2 times experienced a bad problem.  When moving ripped divx from the local machine (Windows7 RC) I experienced that this time it went extremly slow and just when the moving-indicator was done - the Divx  folder simply disappiered!!!!!! And the 2 movies that should have been moved - hasn't. (but the DVD folder is still intact).
    I will guess I had about 100 divx movies in that folder.

Yesteday I had absout 2 TB free  space and when cheking now - there is about 2,5 TB free space - so somehow - Windows7 RC and WHS manage to delete 1 month of ripping :-(

I have offcouse checked the Recycle Bin (nothing there) and there were no pop-up warnings  about deleting. I have allso checked the whole server for any *.avi files - hoping it had moved someshere else on the server - but sadly no luck.

Can anyone explain to me what is happening (or how I can prevent this)? Maybe a shared folder only "like" to contain 1 subfolder?

I have multiple subfolders in various media sharing folders (Videos, Music, and Photos) and have never experienced that.  First, did you try rebooting both server and client?  Second, have you installed any add-ins/apps on your server?  If so, which ones?  The only other thought would be that you're connecting from 7 which is not "officially" supported yet (although I am also using 7 RC and haven't experienced that).
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:10 AM
  • Please check the event log on the server - maybe one of the disks failed or has issues, so that the file system entry for the folder got lost.
    Olaf
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Hi Kariya21

Yes I tried reboot server (and Client) but with same result - the folder seems to be gone.

About the Ad-ins I use: "My Movies for Home Server" (Binnerup) and "WebFolders4WHS". As I wrote - this was the second time I had this weird experience, and after the first one - I felt I had to reinstall the server software again (but apperently with no greater luck).
    I do have to mention that the first install - I used the add-in: "Advanced Admin Console". But after re-install my WHS I downloaded the .msi file again, but my WHS can't "see" the .msi file under: "available add-ins" in the settings?

The more I think of my problem - the more convinced I get - that the problem is not Windows 7 (RC), but the WHS Software (or maybe hardware).

Thursday, July 9, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Hi Olaf.

According to WHS Console - all my HD seems healthy. (Have 2 HD in PC and 4 USB HD)

Thanks for the advice about the Event Viewer - I must admit it's the first time I've ever read it and there seems to be some issues.

Details:
    Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

When it comes to the "System" (Viewer) it looks odd to me. Have a lot of these information:

08-07-2009,22:02:15,MRxSmb,Warning,None,3019,N/A,SERVER,The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

and a lot of these:

07-07-2009,20:32:15,PlugPlayManager,Warning,None,257,N/A,SERVER,"Timed out sending notification of target device change to window of ""LDM Service"""

and a bunch of these:

07-07-2009,13:48:21,W3SVC,Information,None,1074,N/A,SERVER,A worker process with process id of '6132' serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' has requested a recycle because the worker process reached its allowed processing time limit.  

A lot of these:

30-06-2009,11:07:29,MRxSmb,Error,None,8003,N/A,SERVER,The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer SPILLE-PC that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{BDD20009-76E5-4B49. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

I could go on and on.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:16 PM
  • Hi Olaf.

Details:
    Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

and a lot of these:

and a bunch of these:

A lot of these:

I could go on and on.

You could try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server (starting with the D partition).  One possibility that comes to mind is the "tombstones" are getting lost (due to a bad hard drive), but not the actual files which are stored on the secondary drives.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Thanks for all your help.

The problem was a USB HD that was corrupted/defect. 

But why did the WHS so showed me, that all my HD was Healthy (in the console) ?

Anyway - it has now been replaced.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:02 AM
  • Unfortunately WHS is very conservative, before it reports a disk failure.
    Especially USB disks are also known for issues if added to the storage pool, this has often to do with the enclosure which acts by its own, while WHS expects permanent availibility.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:00 PM