81 Vs. 60,000+ indexed pages RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am new to Yahoo and SEO in general. I tried looking through the suggestions posted here but didn’t find a straight answer to my question which is:

Why does my site have over 60,000 indexed pages on another search engine and only 81 on Live.com?

I have also submitted the sitemap and verified the site over a week ago. Is it normal for it to take longer before indexing starts? Should I see a jump in the number of pages indexed after submitting a sitemap?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thursday, March 6, 2008 12:36 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

I can't give you a response for Yahoo, but as stated in the past, there is a limit to the size of our index and while we would love to index every page on the web and would love to index every site we currently cannot guarantee that each site will be indexed and we don't guarantee coverage to any site. 

We are growing our index all the time. We quadrupled our index size in the last year and hopefully we will continue to grow the same way next year.     So why does it crawl so many pages and index none?  Because we have to select what we think are the best pages.  Not everyone will agree with the design of the selection and ranking algorithm and we are always working on making selection better.

Brett

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 4:53 PM

All replies

• Just one small note ... this is the official forum for Webmasters regarding Microsoft's Live Search not Yahoo Stick out tongue
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 2:12 PM
  •  

Hi,

I can't give you a response for Yahoo, but as stated in the past, there is a limit to the size of our index and while we would love to index every page on the web and would love to index every site we currently cannot guarantee that each site will be indexed and we don't guarantee coverage to any site. 

We are growing our index all the time. We quadrupled our index size in the last year and hopefully we will continue to grow the same way next year.     So why does it crawl so many pages and index none?  Because we have to select what we think are the best pages.  Not everyone will agree with the design of the selection and ranking algorithm and we are always working on making selection better.

Brett

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 4:53 PM