Premature deactivation of WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the WHS RTM Eval on Friday, and all was fine, but I was surprized to see it was licensed to deactivate in 12/8/08?  Setup clients, users, configured backups and for the most part there were no obvious problems. Started transffering files into shared folder w/o any problems and by Sat system was finally setup and functioning properly.

Now to the problem: Sunday afternoon I was working on one of the clients when a alert balloon popped up and said that there was 3 days left on the WHS server license. At this point I logged into the WHS server and was unable to logon, but received a message saying the server was unable to start because the license had expired.

I assume I have to do a re-install, but will I have to re-setup the server too??

Has anyone else experienced this??

Since this is a beta test and licenses apparently have hard timeout dates, why not have a "new license" entry window open up when the server license has expired? This would eliminate the need to re-install the system, and that time could be used to do additional testing.

If there are options that I am unaware of, please let me know..

TIA

tjdavj

Monday, June 9, 2008 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi and sorry to hear about your problems. Firstly, this is NOT a beta test, the evaluation is just that, an opportunity to evaluate prior to purchase.

Having got that out of the way, the expiration period is hard wired into the eval version in a number of different places, and others have found in the past, that the smallest change can result in the software 'timing out'. Changing the date or time after installation is one prime cause.

You can try a re-installation, I assume you have read through the documentation, but you can try. If the DVD offers you the option to 're-install', then your data and backups will be safe. However, you will need to re-add your Clients and any Add-Ins you may be trialling.

Regarding your point re a 'new license' window, it would be VERY difficult to implement, as it would leave a wide open window for people who don't want to pay, to possibly hack the software. Also, the general feeling is that, as this is a server with valuable data, (to you,) a 'clean' install is preferable.

Colin

Monday, June 9, 2008 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi and sorry to hear about your problems. Firstly, this is NOT a beta test, the evaluation is just that, an opportunity to evaluate prior to purchase.

Having got that out of the way, the expiration period is hard wired into the eval version in a number of different places, and others have found in the past, that the smallest change can result in the software 'timing out'. Changing the date or time after installation is one prime cause.

You can try a re-installation, I assume you have read through the documentation, but you can try. If the DVD offers you the option to 're-install', then your data and backups will be safe. However, you will need to re-add your Clients and any Add-Ins you may be trialling.

Regarding your point re a 'new license' window, it would be VERY difficult to implement, as it would leave a wide open window for people who don't want to pay, to possibly hack the software. Also, the general feeling is that, as this is a server with valuable data, (to you,) a 'clean' install is preferable.

Colin

Monday, June 9, 2008 5:57 PM
  • Actually, this was downloaded and installed as part of the WHS PowerPack 1 Beta test, and I assumed that it was a "special" beta test version.. I have never knowingly downloaded or installed the "real" WHS RTM eval..

When I see it say installing "Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition", it's easy to assume that this in NOT the version MS is releasing to the general public..

Obviously, the re-licensing idea only makes sense from a beta tester's perspective, and would not be applicable for an Eval version for your stated reasons. Most beta testers are trying to "break" the system, and making them re-install when things break, ie: resetting the date/time, makes NO sense..

I apologize for posting in the general public WHS forum, I was just curious if this issue was common knowledge.

I will re-direct my questions to the beta testing forum..

Thanks

tjdavj

Monday, June 9, 2008 8:07 PM
  • The downloadable "evaluation" version of Windows Home Server is just what name implies, time-limited software for evaluation of Windows Home Server. In this case, "evaluation" includes testing the beta of Power Pack 1. There are a number of things that can cause the built in timer to expire, including changing the date. This is so that users won't simply set their servers back every now and then and keep using them after the evaluaiton period has expired. Once the "time bomb" has been triggered, there is no way to reset it. There is also no way to extend the evaluation period beyond the original 120 days, or to convert from an evaluation version to the full version of the software.
    Monday, June 9, 2008 8:25 PM