Home Server Connector Software can not be installedPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:40 pm RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought a new Windows 7 pc (home premium) 64 bit and when trying to install the connector software I get the following error:

"This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Package."

I have tried installing off of the CD, installing off of the server and downloading the latest version off of msft website and no matter what I do I get this error. I have tried to turn off the firewall and disable AVG Antivirus just in case. I only have 1 account on the computer and it has admin rights. I have not had any issues installing anything else on this computer. I also just recently installed this software on a laptop (vista 32bit). I have also validated that the guest account is turned on on the home server. The home server is a HP EFX490.

I have ran the WHS Connector Troubleshooter and get the following:

1.The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server
    2.Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site

For #1 it suggests to delte the %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server folder if it exists and install from the home server.  Which I did with no luck.  For #2 if my other computer can connect without a problem i assume the issue isn't with this, but I'm probably wrong!  I also wans't sure how to do a lot of these. 

One thing to note is when I try to use to Remote Desktop Connection on my Windows 7 comptuer I get a certificate error which states the the "certificate or associated chain in invalid (Code: 0x10000).  It does let me go ahead and connect though.  When i connect from my Vista computer I do not get that issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:59 AM

Answers

• The 'Content Created' date is listed as 10/7/2009.

I had tried to copy all of files over to the desktop and installing it that way previously with no success.  This time I tired to just pull over the "WHSConnector_x64.msi" file.  When ran it, it told me i needed to run it from the setup file.  After pulling that over and running it again it finally worked.

I had tried this in the past at least once or twice, so i'm not really sure that hte deal was.  I had a few other problems trying to install it on the other computers, but after just restarting the server and the computers a few times it ended up installing.

Thanks so much for all of the help!

• Marked as answer by jd260 Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:19 AM

All replies

• Try running the connector routine from the serve at:

http://SERVERNAME:55000

Make sure you run all WHS updates first, on the server.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:21 AM
  • I have tried to install from that link as well and have done all of the udpates via the Windows Home Server Console, but still no luck. 

When i remote into the server no critical updates show up, but these do: 

Microsoft Windows Server 2003

<input id="ExclusiveSelection" onclick="parent.fnExclusiveSelection(0)" name="ExclusiveSelection" type="radio" value="0" /> Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows Server 2003 (KB925876)
    Optional software updates

Microsoft Windows Server 2003

<input id="ckBasket4" onclick="parent.fnModifyBasket(4);" type="checkbox" value="on" />
    Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2388210)
    Download size: 1.1 MB , less than 1 minute
    Install this update to resolve a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.  Details...
    <input id="ckDecl4" style="margin-left: -3px;" onclick="parent.fnModifyHidden(4);" name="ckDecl4" type="checkbox" value="on" /><label for="ckDecl4">Don't show this update again </label>
    <input id="ckBasket3" onclick="parent.fnModifyBasket(3);" type="checkbox" value="on" />
    Windows PowerShell 2.0 and WinRM 2.0 for Windows Server 2003 (KB968930)
    Download size: 6 MB , less than 1 minute
    The Windows Management Framework Core package includes Windows PowerShell 2.0 and Windows Remote Management (WinRM) 2.0. For more information on the Windows Management Framework, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968929.  Details...
    <input id="ckDecl3" style="margin-left: -3px;" onclick="parent.fnModifyHidden(3);" name="ckDecl3" type="checkbox" value="on" /><label for="ckDecl3">Don't show this update again </label>
    <input id="ckBasket2" onclick="parent.fnModifyBasket(2);" type="checkbox" value="on" />
    Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows Server 2003 (KB982632)
    Download size: 489 KB , less than 1 minute
    This Compatibility View List update helps make Web sites that are designed for older browsers look better in Internet Explorer 8. When users install Internet Explorer 8, they will be given a choice about opting-in to a list of sites that should be displayed in Compatibility View. After you install this item, you may have to restart Internet Explorer.  Details...
    <input id="ckDecl2" style="margin-left: -3px;" onclick="parent.fnModifyHidden(2);" name="ckDecl2" type="checkbox" value="on" /><label for="ckDecl2">Don't show this update again </label>
    <input id="ckBasket1" onclick="parent.fnModifyBasket(1);" type="checkbox" value="on" />
    Update For Windows Server 2003 (KB971513)
    Download size: 745 KB , less than 1 minute
    The Windows Automation API library contains the latest version of the Microsoft User Interface Automation (UI Automation) and Microsoft Active Accessibility libraries that are provided in Windows 7. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.  Details...
    <input id="ckDecl1" style="margin-left: -3px;" onclick="parent.fnModifyHidden(1);" name="ckDecl1" type="checkbox" value="on" /><label for="ckDecl1">Don't show this update again </label>
    Should I download these as well?
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:31 AM
  • "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Package."

Hi jd,

Firstly, please verify that you have the latest version of PP3 running on your server.
    From the Console, click "Settings"->"Resources". The version numbers should read 6.0.3039 (Storage Manager) and 6.0.2423 (others)

I have seen the error you metioned in your post caused by a locally cached installer package.
    So you may want to checks this going about as follows:

1. Make sure any previous version of the connector installer was uninstalled (see "Programs and Features").

2. Check for and optionally remove the existing cached installer package:
    * Using Windows Explorrer, goto the folder c:\windows\installer (its probably hidden so you may have to type the path in at the adress bar)
    * Check for an existing installer package (*.msi file) of the connector installer.
       (Tip: add the column "Subject" (by rightclicking the column headers) to display the package names)
    * If you find an existing package, rename the file to something like *.msi.bak
    3 Delete any remaining files at %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server
    4. Restart your computer.
    5. Download the connector installer to your desktop through http://servername:55000
    6. Run the downloaded installer
        (Make sure any unnecessairy applications are closed and maybe disable any 3th-party antivirus/firewall/VPN applications)

Good luck
    - Theo.

Btw: would you please report your problems to Connect?

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:52 PM
  • I checked as you suggested and the latest version of PP3 is running.

I also checked to see if the installer package was there but did not find it.  While searching my comptuer though I did find on in "Program Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server" which I renamed and deleted, restarted and tried to reinstall from http://servername:55000 and got the same problem each time.  I turned off any firewalls and antivirus programs (AVG and Windows).

In Windows Home Server folder it still has a oem.msi file and a logs folder.

I also signed up to connect, but not sure where to post my problem.  Does it just go in the feedback section?

Thoughts?

Jason

Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:49 AM
  • I had to reset the time on the server and pc, then reset then to the correct time, save and restart in order to get my laptop to install the server software. Dumb solution answer but it worked.

Cruise

Sunday, November 14, 2010 3:24 PM
  • I also signed up to connect, but not sure where to post my problem.  Does it just go in the feedback section?

Jason,
    Yes. From the feedback section (search/expanded view) hit the "Submit Feedback" button.
    Please describe your problem in detail and make sure to add a CAB number. The CAB number references debug information uploaded to MS using the "Log Collector Tool". For more information see "Submitting Feedback" on the Connect homepage for WHS?

As your server is a HP EFX490 i think the installer used probably is a OEM/HP 'customized' version I would suggest to also contact HP support. Maybe they can help you solve this?

- Theo.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:23 PM
  • ok, sorry for the long delay...

I posted on connect and they told me that I needed to post here instead...

1 update though.  I have since purchased a couple of other Windows 7 (64bit) desktop computers and have the same exact issue with all of them.  I also borrowed a friends Vista (32bit) laptop to see if it was a windows 7 issue and i ended up getting the same exact error. 

Any suggestions on anyting else i can try?

Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Any suggestions on anyting else i can try?

(...)
    and you allready tried disabling any anti-Virus or firewall applications..
    Maybe something on your server or network.
    For now I have no idea...

- Theo.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:27 PM
  • Start the Windows Home Server Console from one of the clients (or optionally directly from the server Desktop).
    Check the version numbers by clicking "settings" and then selecting the "resources" tab.

The version numbers should all read 6.0.2423.0 except for the Storage Manager component (6.0.3039.0)?
    - Theo.

Friday, December 31, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Yes, that is correct.

-Jason

Friday, December 31, 2010 7:02 PM
  • * You did not mention: is this the first client you are trying to connect to this server or do you have others that are succesfully installing the connector software?

You can try copying the file "WHSConnector_x64.msi" from the server share "\\{servername}\Software\Home Server Connector Software" to the clients local desktop.

* Check file properties->details.
    Does it say MS,  the 'Content created' date listing 2009-10-08 (when in yyyy-mm-dd format)
    * Double-click the file to start it.
    Do you get the same error?

Unless the results above lead to new insights I am quite out of ideas right now.
    I would advise you to contact HP support to see if they can help out here...

- Theo.

Saturday, January 1, 2011 11:03 PM
  • The 'Content Created' date is listed as 10/7/2009.

I had tried to copy all of files over to the desktop and installing it that way previously with no success.  This time I tired to just pull over the "WHSConnector_x64.msi" file.  When ran it, it told me i needed to run it from the setup file.  After pulling that over and running it again it finally worked.

I had tried this in the past at least once or twice, so i'm not really sure that hte deal was.  I had a few other problems trying to install it on the other computers, but after just restarting the server and the computers a few times it ended up installing.

Thanks so much for all of the help!

• Marked as answer by jd260 Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:19 AM