Bad Update - I wanna go back to the old One Care! RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I rec'd an update from One Care, as did others I see.    The update installed and ran well.    I started a scan about 12 hours ago and it was still scanning until a few minutes ago when I terminated it.   My processor utilization after termination of the scan is running 100%.    How do I go back to the old One Care.....  Restore?

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:06 PM

Answers

• Well, you can't roll back to the prior version, but you are correct in that there are other reports of this problem. OneCare goes through extensive internal and external testing before release, but sometimes things appear at release that were not uncovered during the beta due to the almost infinite combination of hardware/software that it can be running on.

Hopefully, the cause of your problem will be identified and resolved soon. If you haven't already done so, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:46 PM

All replies

• I moved your post to the Antivirus folder, but considered the Tune-up folder. Did you execute a manual scan or did you start a Tune-up?

In any event, yes, there are others who have reported the same problem following the update to 2.0. The OneCare team is working very hard to determine the cause.

You can contact support for help with this, but you can't go back to the old version of OneCare. A System Restore will put you in a broken state, but OneCare will then update itself to 2.0 again as it is staged to your account. Any install of OneCare will always net the latest version at install since it goes to the server to get the code for installation.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:11 PM
  • I started the scan myself.    After I posted the thread, I started a quick scan.   It's been running 3 days now and has not finished.

I'm running XP PRO with all the latest updates.

I have a laptop that has Vista HP on it and WOC runs correctly on it.

On my desktop, whether the scan is running or not, the processor is running 100% constantly.   2 svchost.exe are the main culprits along with winss.exe.   The LOCAL SERVICE runs on average abt 50%, winss runs btwn 20%-40%, svchost SYSTEM runs 15-30%.

Looks like many people are having the same problem.    Isn't it time to back off this version?

I sure wish the founder was back in charge.    I don't think he would put up with all this releasing of products that aren't checked out.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:02 PM
  • Well, you can't roll back to the prior version, but you are correct in that there are other reports of this problem. OneCare goes through extensive internal and external testing before release, but sometimes things appear at release that were not uncovered during the beta due to the almost infinite combination of hardware/software that it can be running on.

Hopefully, the cause of your problem will be identified and resolved soon. If you haven't already done so, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:46 PM