Is there a way to backup the folders on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I created folders on my WHS that I am going to use for sharing data among users on my network. Is there any way to backup those folders?
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Any folders created on the Server should be created through the Wizard on the Shared Folders Tab in the Console.
    Once created, these folderscan have Folder Duplication enabled, which will keep two copies of any files with each copy being on a seperate hard drive.
    Also, on a version of WHS with PP1 installed or integrated, you have the option of backing up these shared folders to another drive, (maybe an external one). However, this must be set up with a drive during it's installation; that is, when you add another drive, it will ask you if you want it as part of the storage pool, or to be available for backups. Once set up, you can then (manually at present), backup these folders from the Computers & Backup Tab of the Console.
    There is also an Add-In which can backup or duplicate your Client Backups as well.

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Any folders created on the Server should be created through the Wizard on the Shared Folders Tab in the Console.
    Once created, these folderscan have Folder Duplication enabled, which will keep two copies of any files with each copy being on a seperate hard drive.
    Also, on a version of WHS with PP1 installed or integrated, you have the option of backing up these shared folders to another drive, (maybe an external one). However, this must be set up with a drive during it's installation; that is, when you add another drive, it will ask you if you want it as part of the storage pool, or to be available for backups. Once set up, you can then (manually at present), backup these folders from the Computers & Backup Tab of the Console.
    There is also an Add-In which can backup or duplicate your Client Backups as well.

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:43 PM
  • On a related note to this - is it possible to backup data files from server shared storage (not system files) to a network drive that is not included in the storage pool? 

I have spare capacity on a PC that I'd like to use as backup storage for the server (and then exclude from the PC to server backups). Is there a way to do this without having to do it manually? 

Thanks

Edit - just saw reference to SyncToy - that might work unless there is a built in WHS function.
    • Edited by r_c_pattinson Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:18 PM saw updated thread on synctoy
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:13 PM
  • No. Windows Home Server only works with a directly connected drive. It's intended to be network storage, not interface with network storage. :)

You might want to go to the feedback section of Connect and search for a product suggestion to vote on (there are several) if you feel strongly about this.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:02 PM
  • r_c_pattinson said:

On a related note to this - is it possible to backup data files from server shared storage (not system files) to a network drive that is not included in the storage pool? 

Edit - just saw reference to SyncToy - that might work unless there is a built in WHS function.

there is no builtin support for backing up server shares to a network drive on another machine.
    Not sure about Synctoy directly running on the server (since the tombstones may cause difficulties for this), but a scheduled task using a batch file based on xcopy or robocopy to copy changed files from shares (never directly from the file system) should work. (Even if this is also unsupported.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:46 PM