Restore Tool Won't Open - REGEDIT Search Fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Like many others on this Forum, I was surprised to find out that Windows Live OneCare closed down. I purged it from my system as my subscription ran out and installed the free "Microsoft Security Essentials" program in its place.

I downloaded the "Restore Tool" last night to restore some files from OneCare backup discs that I had made, but the Tool wouldn't open.

When I did a REGEDIT "Search" to fix the "corrupt registry key" that might be the reason for the Tool not opening:

"1. Click the Start button, type REGEDIT in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the following key in the left pane.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Services

3. Right-click WinSS and click Delete.

4. Exit Registry Editor and restart the computer."

the "Search" produced nothing.

Is there a way to get to the "Services" area manually?

Thank you,

Bennie 2

Monday, May 24, 2010 7:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you can't locate the registry key I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Monday, May 24, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Dear Jim,

Let me try again, because I'm confused by your answer. That link you mentioned took me to a page where, because I don't have Windows Live OneCare installed anymore on my computer, which my thread indicates, that I should click on this link, http://help.live.com, which leads to a page that has a link to this forum to ask someone like you what to do.

When I said that my '"Search" produced nothing,' I meant that the "Search Results" area of the "Windows Desktop Search" window was blank, after a lengthy time-period had elapsed with a "Searching..." indicator indicating that "searching" was going on. I didn't mean that I wasn't able to navigate to this place, 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Services,' based upon some "Search Results" options that I wasn't able to figure out.

So, I'm wondering: Is there a path that I can follow, that starts somewhere on my computer, that you can reveal to me, that will get me to the final "Services" area?

For example, if I wanted to get to the "Control Panel," you would tell me: "Click on the 'Start' button down in the lower-left corner of your screen, and then click on "Control Panel" on the option menu that will be displayed. Like that.

Thanks,

Bennie 2   

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:46 AM
  • You shouldn't need to use the search function at all. In the start menu select "Run" ( If "Run" in not on your start menu type run in the search box ). Type "regedit" without the quotes in the run box. When the registry editor opens navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Services in the left pane. Highlight services in the left pane and you should see an entry in the right pane with WinSS. Highlight that key in the right pane, right click it and select delete. Close the registry editor and restart your computer. If you are not able to locate the registry key or if it does not exist contacting support is the best option. If you follow the reaching support FAQs carefully you should be able to get help.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Bennie, before editing the registry try running the One Care install cleanup tool, then run the backup restore tool. One Care cleanup tool - http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe

Jim

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Dear Jim,

Thanks for your help so far.

1. I used that cleanup tool you linked to, and the 'Backup Restore Tool' still wouldn't open, even after several reboots.

2. I found a file with a 'onecarecleaner.exe' in it, on my external hard drive, that came with the restoration of a '.bkf' file from several OneCare Backup Discs I had restored to my computer, using Windows Live OneCare, to a new external hard drive, on the day that my Windows Live OneCare subscription was to end. I had used Windows OneCare to put that '.bkf' file (that was a backup of files on another, now defunct external hard drive) onto OneCare Backup Discs months earlier. I did the same 'cleanup' with that Tool I found, and my 'Backup Restore Tool' still wouldn't open.

3. When I went to the 'Services' file in the 'Registry Editor' of my Windows XP Media Center Edition, before doing Steps 1 and 2, and after doing Steps 1 and 2, I found this same configuration:

On the left side of the Editor window:       On the right side:

My Computer                                         Name                                     Type                                        Data

-Services                                            ab(Default)                             REG_SZ                                   (value not set)

-WinSS                                             ab(Default)                            REG_SZ                                    (value not set)

+SystemCertificates

I didn't do anything, as this setup didn't match your location for 'WinSS.'

Bennie 2

P.S. Sometime during the downloading and installation of the 'Backup Restore Tool,' my 'Microsoft Security Essentials' program got turned off, and wouldn't start again, but I was able to sucessfully uninstall and re-install it.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Bennie, I don't know how to help at this point but support should be able to resolve this for you.

Jim

Friday, May 28, 2010 3:37 AM
  • Dear Jim,

I'll follow the Support route. Thanks for your help.

Bennie 2

Friday, May 28, 2010 5:46 AM
  • Bennie 2, after you run the OneCare cleanup tool - 

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

you will need to reinstall both Microsoft Security Essentials and the OneCare Restore Tool as the cleanup tool removes components of both of these programs.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:04 PM