Feasible server backup solution? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My intended setup is to use one (or many) internal SATA drives for data and system and one (or many) internal SATA drives for backup. I would like the possibility to set multiple "backup tasks/items". First I need one or many tasks that do system and data backups to the internal SATA drives maybe twice a day. Secondly I would like a backup task that does data backup to external usb or eSATA drive at a higher interval so you have a backup started automatically within 15 minutes after you have connected the drive. The external backup task could be started manually if that is easier to accomplish.

Is this possible to manage with the GUI’s of WHS and underlying Windows Server Backup or am I forced to write PowerShell scripts for this?

Regards
    Mattias

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:16 PM

All replies

• Don't think you need PS scripts? You can tinker somewhat with the backups, how, when, and where with the GUI. It's pretty good for the simple back ups. You can certainly back up internally no problems. You simply nominate a drive as a back up drive, set what you want to back up, and when, and away you go. Not sure about adding the external back up?
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Yes, I'm sure the GUI works fine for a single backup task but my question was regarding multiple tasks. If the scenario I described would be possible to set up I think that would be a good substitution for DE and server backup.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:01 AM
  • The Server Backup/Restore function in the WHS Dashboard has been simplified to the point of uselessness. It only handles a single backup task, and it can't be used to backup more than a total of 2TB of server data. For anything else, you'll have to use the underlying facilities of Windows Server 2008 R2.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:36 PM
  • To my understanding the underlying facilities (Windows Server Backup) also relies on a single scheduled task when creating it through to GUI. I was hoping that I at least could create two tasks, one through WHS GUI and one through Windows Server Backup GUI. But if that isn't possible I guess I'm down to command line tools and PowerShell or 3rd party application.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:53 PM