Microsoft Q&A - IMHO, too bad :( RRS feed

• General discussion

• I see a new announcement and I'm disappointed, personally. These forums are not good, but Q&A, IMHO, is even worse :(

The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A: All English Microsoft Azure forums!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A.
    Interact with existing posts until June 10, 2020, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Too bad for a need to view different platforms. BTW, I tried posting the same opinion there and looks like these forums are moderated (which may be good for SPAM prevention).

Anyway, too bad, in my opinion.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Changed type Naomi N Tuesday, June 2, 2020 3:14 AM Not a question
    • Edited by Naomi N Tuesday, June 2, 2020 3:15 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 3:14 AM

All replies

• Good Day Naomi

The new forums interface QnA is still in preview and has many known bugs. For feedback on the QnA please use the QnA feedback option. It is monitoring all the time by the team which are still working the system.

Go to the QnA system, and instead of "Ask Question" use the option "Site feedback" or use the following direct link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/content/idea/post.html

With that being said, I do not think that the QnA will ever get to the quality of the MSDN forums. The big advantage is that the team that in charge the QnA is working with us (with the community) and I hope all issues will be fixed soon.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Friday, June 12, 2020 2:48 AM
  • So from my email I went directly to that site. First it asked me to create a profile (and so none of my achievements were carried over). I also tried to create a test message and it's terrible

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/idea/35429/testing-this-website.html

Luckily for me I can always contact Mike directly in Linkedin and he was helping me a lot by direct communication - thanks a lot to him and also to Ytzhak - both of them helped directly in Linkedin when I had questions.

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Edited by Naomi N Friday, June 12, 2020 12:57 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2020 12:55 PM
  • So from my email I went directly to that site. First it asked me to create a profile (and so none of my achievements were carried over). I also tried to create a test message and it's terrible

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/idea/35429/testing-this-website.html

Luckily for me I can always contact Mike directly in Linkedin and he was helping me a lot by direct communication - thanks a lot to him and also to Ytzhak - both of them helped directly in Linkedin when I had questions.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Hi,

none of my achievements were carried over

True. The QnA system has totally separate reputation system.

It is like starting from clean page ;-)

There might be some archive to show the old reputations once the MSDN will be closed once all forums will be migrated. At this time from the technical aspect these are separate systems.

> I also tried to create a test message and it's terrible

I agree. I followed the the system before the first line of code was written, and I do not like it. Unfortunately I cannot speak too much in public as most was under NDA.

Luckily for me I can always contact Mike directly in Linkedin and he was helping me a lot by direct communication

You have much better direct communication channel with the person who in charge on the new system. You can use the TechNet Wiki Facebook group, where she is member.

In short, I agree that the new system cannot and in my assumption will never be in the same level as the MSDN forums. It is simply not designed well as a discussion forum from the core of the system. There is a lot of work to make it fit well as discussion forum, and it is complex. but the decision was done and now we need to help the team to make it as good as it can be.

signature   Ronen Ariely

Friday, June 12, 2020 4:17 PM
  • I personally think there would be the similar effect as the migration of Channel 9 forum to Reddit - the long-timers have no intention to move to the new forum to start over, so they'd just get off the train there. I believe it had happened before when Microsoft switched from newsgroup to this forum.

As the migration for C# forums has not started yet, I'll still thinking whether I'll move there.

Monday, June 15, 2020 1:47 AM
  • I personally think there would be the similar effect as the migration of Channel 9 forum to Reddit - the long-timers have no intention to move to the new forum to start over, so they'd just get off the train there. I believe it had happened before when Microsoft switched from newsgroup to this forum.

As the migration for C# forums has not started yet, I'll still thinking whether I'll move there.

Hi cheong,

This is absolutely true and I raised this point long time ago during the private preview. I cannot discuss everything in public, but I will give you one point which is different here: The migration in this case was done with big part of the core active supporters of the forums and Moderators. Unfortunately, Microsoft team did not open the discussion to all the Moderators in the forum (which is my preferred), since they could not confirm that the information will not leaked to the public, but many people from the community were involved with the process.

signature   Ronen Ariely

• Edited by pituachMVP Tuesday, June 16, 2020 1:08 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2020 1:06 PM
  • Here you can post a feedback (guess what they do with these feedbacks...)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/content/idea/post.html

Overall, this is not so bad: the basic idea is same as on Stack Overflow: there's a common pool of questions; readers/answerers can filter relevant topics by tags.

Which suggests a thought.... why not move to Stack Overflow and build you new home there?

-- pa

/* @Ronen: remember that old Jewish anecdote? "We have three days to learn to live under water". */

• Edited by Pavel A Wednesday, July 15, 2020 12:20 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2020 12:11 AM
  • I agree.  The new QA is confusing and not productive.  The TechNet forums are much more usable.  The new QA is more like reddit than a forum where the only thing I can see is the "POPULAR" answer

Microsoft products should provide the popular answer by default, thus negating the need for Q/A altogether.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 12:54 AM
  • Today forums don't behave the whole day for me, unfortunately. I even posted new thread here about it and it never appeared.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 1:03 AM
  • Today forums don't behave the whole day for me, unfortunately. I even posted new thread here about it and it never appeared.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Hi Naomi

What do you mean it never appeared?

You posted messages and it was not published? can it be that it was deleted by mistake

signature   Ronen Ariely

Saturday, July 18, 2020 7:46 PM

• What do you mean it never appeared?

Broken search service.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 18, 2020 7:52 PM
  • Hi all, Definitely will take time to get used to the new forums. Not sure I am a fan of the "answered" question construction. I remember when the newsgroups were replaced by these forums and it met with a lot of resistance. Hopefully, at some point the Q&A will meet the needs and be as intuitive as these forums have become.  Look forward to seeing everyone over there!  :) 

Saturday, July 18, 2020 8:16 PM
  • Hi all, Definitely will take time to get used to the new forums. Not sure I am a fan of the "answered" question construction. I remember when the newsgroups were replaced by these forums and it met with a lot of resistance. Hopefully, at some point the Q&A will meet the needs and be as intuitive as these forums have become.  Look forward to seeing everyone over there!  :) 

Unfortunately, I don't think that this interface (I speak about the system/code behind the scenes and not the domain of new interface) will never be as intuitive, friendly, and useful as the old MSDN system, since the core of the system is poor and not well designed for discussion forums (in my opinion). A lot more information I gave under NDA when it was in private preview and the MVP here can watch it. Now I basically can only say the same in public since the system is public, but there is nothing that I can say now which I did not already mentioned in the past (except specific bugs).

If I did not use the "ShowHideContent" extension for the QnA, then I would probably not using the QnA forums. This is the only practical way for me to use the forums at this time.

With that being said, the migration to a new system can succeed and the interface is only the secondary impact on the success of a community. I saw worse interface system which succeed and in fact, the best interface which I know about, was totally failed once the owner company was changed and they change the approach of the forums.

The first impact on the success of a community is the community and by community I mean the core users.

At this time, since most of the English forums already migrated, I think that the next step MUST be to migrate the active Moderators (non-MVP) to the new system (it should be done before or at the same time that their forums were migrated) - There is a need to give moderator privileges to all the active Moderators from the MSDN/TechNet who want to become Moderators in the QnA. I passed this request to the Microsoft QnA team, and I hope it will be done as soon as possible.

signature   Ronen Ariely

Sunday, July 19, 2020 5:13 PM
  • I tried to look one more time in Q&A as now more forums are going to migrate :(((((

It is very unfortunate - here in SQL Server forums we have lots of top experts from whom I learned so much over the years. 

The Q&A doesn't seem like it is ever going to be that same level of expertise shared. It is also not convenient at all. I wish MS would listen to our feedback and keep MSDN forums functioning instead of shutting them down.

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Edited by Naomi N Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:49 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:48 AM
  • Hi Naomi,

Thanks for your questions and your continuous support on SQL Server community.

1. Microsoft Q&A is now the official Microsoft site to support all the questions related to Azure services. In addition, in the coming weeks Microsoft Q&A will support more products and services.
    2. In collaboration with our partners, Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs), and you, we have implemented many bug fixes and have shipped the following key features and improvements:
    • Instant answers to help you find the answers you are looking for faster. As you begin to ask your question or do a search, we will suggest related answers from Microsoft Q&A and MSDN Forums!
    • New home and product pages to show which products Microsoft Q&A supports.
    • Microsoft Employee and Microsoft MVP affiliation shown on the Q&A user cards and profile, so you know when a Microsoft expert is answering your question.
    • Improvements to the editor to streamline posting questions, answers, comments, and site feedback.
    • Show original poster in the content lists together with the person who last updated the thread.
    • Help content has been added and updates to help you understand how the platform works, as well as suggestions on how to post good questions and answers to increase your efficiency.

Check out the Top Q&A features page for more details.

For more information, please refer to: Microsoft Q&A graduates to General Availability! and Microsft Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions.

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Wednesday, August 5, 2020 9:28 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

I am also wondering if all forums that were closed have been moved?

Say, there was relatively active Visual FoxPro forum here with a few top notch experts answering. Recently that forum was archived but no announcements have been made.

I didn't check if that forum was somehow migrated and whether the existing users can have an opportunity to continue in Q&A or that forum was simply closed without any possibility to ask relevant questions in the new platform?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I also checked briefly new SQL Server related forums and see only 4 main categories. Do you think it will be enough?

Finally, I've built my reputation in these forums using them for more than a decade and I've been a moderator in ~20+ forums. Would it be somehow possible for me to be able to continue that in the new platform as well?

Thanks.

Looking for new opportunities

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, August 5, 2020 6:18 PM
  • Hi Lydia,

I am also wondering if all forums that were closed have been moved?

Say, there was relatively active Visual FoxPro forum here with a few top notch experts answering. Recently that forum was archived but no announcements have been made.

I didn't check if that forum was somehow migrated and whether the existing users can have an opportunity to continue in Q&A or that forum was simply closed without any possibility to ask relevant questions in the new platform?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I also checked briefly new SQL Server related forums and see only 4 main categories. Do you think it will be enough?

Finally, I've built my reputation in these forums using them for more than a decade and I've been a moderator in ~20+ forums. Would it be somehow possible for me to be able to continue that in the new platform as well?

Thanks.

Looking for new opportunities

My blog

My TechNet articles

Not all forums moves as they are (meaning the names and the categories where changed). The number of forums is much smaller and the forums are divided differently but all the discussions should find their place in the new forums

signature   Ronen Ariely

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 4:13 AM