none
WHS Backup Documents and Settings folder empty ? RRS feed

• Question

• Just got a WHS a few weeks ago, so I am sure this is a stupid question but I could not find an answer with the search terms I used.

Senario:  Backed up a computer prior to converting it to Windows 7, using my WHS backup. 

Just for fun, tonight I opend the backup and I can get to everything except the Documents and Settings folder which is a dim color compared to the rest of the icons, and it says it is empty.

I am trying to figure out if the issue is that the documents were not backed up, or because I am on another computer it is securing those files from me...?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ross
    Monday, November 9, 2009 3:29 AM

Answers

• Documents and Settings is only a hardlink in Windows Vista and Windows 7, so if the backed up system was installed with one of these OS, you will need to access the folder users instead.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, November 9, 2009 5:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ross2009 Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:06 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 11:25 AM

All replies

• Documents and Settings is only a hardlink in Windows Vista and Windows 7, so if the backed up system was installed with one of these OS, you will need to access the folder users instead.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, November 9, 2009 5:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ross2009 Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:06 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 11:25 AM
  • That is probably it, I will check it after work tonight.   My Vista machine was only a few months old, and I miss that the documents folder was now a pointer.  I knew it was going to be something easy.

Thanks!

Ross
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Confirmed, that was the issue. 

Thanks for the quick response!

Ross
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:07 AM