locked
Drive Extender Migrator / Balancer not working properly RRS feed

  • Question

  • Ok so I see there are topics all over about this and I have tried many of the things mentioned but I can not figure out what's going on. I have a HP EX490 with the 1TB drive and it was getting towards full so I bought a 2TB Hitachi Drive to go with it. I didn't think I needed to do anything more but I started getting disk full errors when I tried to perform extraction on the drives and other things. I have diskkeeper installed and it shows that I have like 8% free on the initial 1 TB drive. So I got that Drive Balancer program awhile back and ran it including the D: right off the bat. I let it run for a few days but it never said it was more than 11% done.

    I got tired of messing with it so I stopped the program and just deleted some things off the share hoping this would fix the issue. Last night I am trying to extract a large file and it gives disk full error from the share. I started researching again and followed some steps I found on these forums. I checked to ensure demigrator.exe is running, which it is. I tried a script from the wegotserved forums for filling up the D drive to force data migration and now I am trying to use Drive Balancer again except this time I followed the advice of the dev and told it not to include D on the first run. I told it then to clear the landing zone and then pressed 5 to quit. I then opened it back up and told it to include D and then said I want the same amount of free space on both drives. It gave me an expected result, created some files and is now chugging away telling me about data throughput and restarting the service once in awhile. Never goes above 11% completion though on Disk 0.

    This server works great for some stuff but when it comes to the storage aspects there are some definite issues. I am thinking of just making a server from scratch next time and unfortunately it looks like sooner than expected as support is being dropped for these things.

     

    Any help for now though to get my storage space back would be great! Thanks!

     

    Greg

    Sunday, January 30, 2011 2:15 AM

All replies

  • 1. Just to make sure, you did actually add the new disk to the storage pool in the WHS console?

     Drive Balancer again except this time I followed the advice of the dev and told it not to include D on the first run. I told it then to clear the landing zone and then pressed 5 to quit. I then opened it back up and told it to include D and then said I want the same amount of free space on both drives.

    2. Actually instructions tell you to INCLUDE D on the first run ("choose "n" to include d")

    3. You may need to allow some more time for the program to finish. If you interrupted the program you may need to do some manual cleaning before doing the next run, please check instructions.

    4. If it really doesn't finish please check your hard drives as described in How to check all the drives in your server for errors, then try again

    5. If checking disks doesn't help you may want to check for invalid file handles and clean them up using the whscleanup tool.


    Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Monday, January 31, 2011 8:08 AM
    Moderator