Live Mesh won't start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have an error when I install Live Mesh. The install process is success running.

After installing, Live Mesh speak "Starting Live Mesh". But after a long time, Live Mesh speak "An error occur" and Live Mesh not started.

Any people have this problem ?
    Do you any solution ?

Thanks,

[I run on Vista SP1 EN with IE8b1]

Christophe Lavalle [MSP]
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:10 AM

Answers

• Hi folks, 

Those of you that are encountering the, "Can't start Live mesh" error, please make sure you have posted your bug and logs on Connect.  Also I'd like to thank the people that cannot post there for the emails of thier logs. 

We're currently investigating this further with some additional logging we've asked some that are reproducing this to help us determine the exact cause.  If you are still encountering this, please feel free to email me your logs as well (lmprev@microsoft.com) and if you would be willing to assist us further in the troubleshooting.

You can get your logs by:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder (see screenshot below).
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug/email.

Thanks all!

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:13 PM

All replies

• Does it just say "An error occured"? Or does it give more information? If it does, what information does it give?
    SL
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:30 AM
  • I am having the same or similar problem when trying to add another device.  The first device installation went fine, but, when I try to add another device from the other PC the Mesh will not start.  The software installs, but, when it is supposed to start it just runs and runs and runs for a very long time, then I get an error message. All the error message says is "Failed to start Live Mesh.  Click here to restart"  Clicking the 'here' link only restarts the entire process and it just continues to loop through all this over and over again. It will never start.

I have screenshots of the error and the CAB file for the report if anyone is interested. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software 3-4 times, rebooting after each uninstall before reinstalling, rebooting after each hang up and nothing works to get the Live Mesh to start. 

The first machine is Vista x64, the second machine is Vista x86 SP1. Each has the correct software for the OS format (i.e., x64 and x86) installed.  Both machines meet the hardware requirements, and Admin and UAC requirements. I don't have any clue as to why it will not start.

I would appreciate some feedback on this issue.

Here is the Bug Report link https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=339814&SiteID=425

Thank you.

Jan :)
    Windows XP - Vista - Internet Explorer
    • Edited by Jan Ilacqua Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:34 PM To add Bug Report link
    • Proposed as answer by Snakedog Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:04 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:51 AM
  • In the same windows of Live Mesh said "Live Mesh starting". The error is :
        "Failed to start Live Mesh.  
         Click here to restart"

"Start Live Mesh" is a link. But I have the same error.
    Christophe Lavalle [MSP]
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:53 AM
  • I got that message when "Formats" was not set to "English (United States)", you may want to check that in "Regional and Language Options". It does a currency check on starting up (why, I dunno).
    Sunshine
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Sunshine [sunsh] said:

I got that message when "Formats" was not set to "English (United States)", you may want to check that in "Regional and Language Options". It does a currency check on starting up (why, I dunno).

Sunshine

That is not a factor here.  I am in the US, and don't use a language other than English US.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:47 PM
  • Sunshine [sunsh] said:

I got that message when "Formats" was not set to "English (United States)", you may want to check that in "Regional and Language Options". It does a currency check on starting up (why, I dunno).

Sunshine

I have the correct settings also.

This is not the factor of this problem apparently. :)
    Christophe Lavalle [MSP]
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:56 PM
  • Jan Ilacqua said:

Sunshine [sunsh] said:

Sunshine

That is not a factor here.  I am in the US, and don't use a language other than English US.

Jan, my answer was directed at Christophe. I believe the problem you are having is a different one from his. Christophe did not state it happend after adding multiple devices but directly after installing the software.

Christophe, from what I understand it never started up at all? Long shot but how about the keyboard setting, how's that set? The problem is not IE8 beta 1 as I'm using that as well. Also are you running 32 bits Vista or 64?
    Sunshine
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Same problem here, Jan.  Installed with no trouble on Vista x64, Vista x86, and XP SP2 machines, but the attempt on a second Vista x64 connected to my workgroup by wireless gives me the same problem.  Will vote on your bug, but have to wait a while because if I click the link, I'll be taken out of the forum and sent to Connect.

I'll file a bug as well later today.
    Walter B
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Yes, Live Mesh never stated for me.

My keyboard settings is [FR]. I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bits.
    Christophe Lavalle [MSP]
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:28 PM
  • V & V Jan.   Took me a while with this crummy forum, but Nadia didn't sound very positive abourt NNTP even though she estimates that the group is split 50/50 about the issue.
    Walter B
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Sunshine [sunsh] said:

Jan Ilacqua said:

Sunshine [sunsh] said:

Sunshine

Jan, my answer was directed at Christophe. I believe the problem you are having is a different one from his. Christophe did not state it happend after adding multiple devices but directly after installing the software.

Sorry, to intrude, but, you did not specify to whom you were directing your answer, so I thought it was meant for all posters here.

I also don't see my peoblem as being that different, as it fails to start on a specific machine and gives the same error message and behavior.  That is why I added my support to this thread instead of starting a new one.  If not replying to all posters/messages in this thread, please specifiy which poster your are directing your reply to so we will know who you are responding to as there's more than one poster.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Walter B said:

V & V Jan.   Took me a while with this crummy forum, but Nadia didn't sound very positive abourt NNTP even though she estimates that the group is split 50/50 about the issue.

Walter B

Thanks, Walter.  I know what you mean about the forum.  It certainly is not the best of them, and it does not work well at all in IE8 mode.  For sure I will not be posting here often, if at all.  It also seems that 'owners' have already made their claim of this forum quite clear.  Another reason I don't do forums.

BTW...the Alerts on this forum don't work either. :-)

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:55 PM
  •  
    Walter B said:

Will vote on your bug, but have to wait a while because if I click the link, I'll be taken out of the forum and sent to Connect.

You could always just open the link in a new tab :) (or a new window if tabs aren't an option).
    SL
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:21 PM
  •  
    Jan Ilacqua said:

It also seems that 'owners' have already made their claim of this forum quite clear.  Another reason I don't do forums.

BTW...the Alerts on this forum don't work either. :-)

"Owners"? Haven't seen anyone claiming ownership of this forum, except maybe Microsoft ;)

Alerts working fine for me though :)

SL
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Hey Chris, wanted to see if you're still having the error report, if you are I need a couple log files from you :)

Send logs from these locations if they exist:

%temp%\Live Mesh\Servicing[0000].log

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Setup\Servicing.log

If you have either of those, please email them to me at lmprev@microsoft.com or open a bug in Connect and attach them.

Thanks!

-Ken

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Jan Ilacqua said:

Sunshine [sunsh] said:

Jan Ilacqua said:

Sunshine [sunsh] said:

Sunshine

Sorry, to intrude, but, you did not specify to whom you were directing your answer, so I thought it was meant for all posters here.

I also don't see my peoblem as being that different, as it fails to start on a specific machine and gives the same error message and behavior.  That is why I added my support to this thread instead of starting a new one.  If not replying to all posters/messages in this thread, please specifiy which poster your are directing your reply to so we will know who you are responding to as there's more than one poster.

Thank you.

Well, I felt it was clear who the response was for. After all Christophe posted the error message..not you. You don't need to tell me how to post on a forum, got enough experience on em..thank you.

Christophe, mine is on English International...long shot...may not be it. Anyways, I'll let Ken take over now :)

OT: Hi Ken, good to see you here too :)
    Sunshine
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:09 PM
  • This is happening on a second machine, also a Vista Ultimate SP1 x64.  Is it possible that Mesh allows only 1 x64 device?
    Walter B
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Hi folks, 

Those of you that are encountering the, "Can't start Live mesh" error, please make sure you have posted your bug and logs on Connect.  Also I'd like to thank the people that cannot post there for the emails of thier logs. 

We're currently investigating this further with some additional logging we've asked some that are reproducing this to help us determine the exact cause.  If you are still encountering this, please feel free to email me your logs as well (lmprev@microsoft.com) and if you would be willing to assist us further in the troubleshooting.

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder (see screenshot below).
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Thanks all!

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:13 PM
  • Yes, have exactly the same issue here.
    WangChao
    Friday, April 25, 2008 8:55 AM

• V & V'd Walter.

Friday, April 25, 2008 5:07 PM
  • kensm [msft] said:

Hi folks, 

1.  Click Start.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.

Thanks all!

Done.  Thanks.

Friday, April 25, 2008 5:10 PM
  • kensm:

I just emailed you my log.  Has there been any movement on this issue?

Thanks
    Bob Day
    • Edited by Robert Day Friday, May 9, 2008 6:00 PM clarification
    Friday, May 9, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Robert Day said:

kensm:

I just emailed you my log.  Has there been any movement on this issue?

Thanks
    Bob Day

Hey Bob,

Ignore the previous post here, mail is just really slow today it seems hehe.  Looking at it now thanks!

-Ken
    Friday, May 9, 2008 6:36 PM
  • I came across the same issue.  Live Mesh failed to start.  Fresh install of Windows XP updated to SP3, English version. 

What I found was that for some reason there was an issue with my IP address.  Brief summary:

I was repairing a family members computer at my home and wanted to set them up for Live Mesh
    Tried to sign them up for a hotmail account at my house
    I recived an error when completing the Hotmail sign-up (I have heard there are issues when signing-up for multiple Hotmail accounts from the same IP in a certain period of time)
    I had to remote into another mcahine to complete the sign-up...this worked fine
    Installed Live Mesh on the machine, then recieved the "Failed to Start" error

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, tried removing any anti-virus software, and disabling any firewalls all with no luck.

The resolution (for me anyway):

Used the internet connection sharing feature of my cell phone (Palm Treo 750) to connect the machine to the net (this resulted in obtaining a different IP, of course)
    Mesh started right up
    Reverted back to normal broadband connection
    Mesh was able to stop and restart withour error

It sure seems that MS is doing something with IP tracking that was causing the issue.

An aside: I absolutly love Live Mesh.  This is one of the best products Microsoft has ever developed!

Jeff Smeker
    Allied Computer Services, LLC
    http://www.alliedcomp.com
    • Edited by jefsmk Saturday, June 21, 2008 3:40 PM added contact info
    • Proposed as answer by HerbM_YVR Saturday, July 19, 2008 8:54 PM
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Confirmed the Jeff's/jefsmk's work around after suffering the same issue:

• First install went flawlessly, under Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    • Added that PC as a device
    • Went to my laptop (Vista Home Premium 32-bit) to confirm the ability to access that first PC
    • Went to add the laptop as the 2nd device to try the reciprocal connection.
    • Prompted to install the client side Mesh s/w for XP/Vista 32-bit; installed and wait for ever for it to finally fail, and try a restart...
    • Upon the "last" failed action, held off on the "restart"
    • Disconnected laptop from private LAN network and connect to a wireless public network
    • restarted the "mesh startup" and was able to complete startup successfully
      • prompted to add laptop to device collection and finished successfully.
      •  - able to access it from the first PC
    • As a confirmation, started up a VM (VS2005R2SP1 64-bit host, XPProSP2 client) and tried adding it as a device; get the continuous "Mesh starting"/"Failed to start Live Mesh" loop
      • try changing to a virtual network with it's own DHCP try and mix it up a bit (192.x.x.x to a 10.x.x.x subnet); still an issue
      • try connecting the VM via the public wireless WAN/LAN
      • ironically, this connection worked fine in getting the VM client added as a device, even though I've "used it up" adding the laptop.
      • would seem that is just the first used IP that is getting tracked?

In all cases, once the devices have been added to my device collection, I can then connect them to the original, first, LAN connection and the Mesh behaviour is as I would normally expect it.

One final test:

• Laptop is now connected via the original high-speed LAN where I had problems adding it before
    • Removed the laptop from the collection of devices; did this from the first PC, while logged off laptop.
      • Logged on to laptop console as non-admin user
      • Mesh starts it "staring" cycle (the sign-in is set to "auto")...
      • get prompted to add laptop as a device, add it...
    • can now see first PC, laptop & VM as listed devices.

Seems you can use the first IP connection more than once? As a suggestion, make your first Mesh device add NOT via your primary, first choice, LAN connection (if you have that option available); e.g. add the laptop from a public WAN at a coffee shop.

Have NOT tested this throughly, and all this has transpired within the span of less than two hours...

• Edited by HerbM_YVR Saturday, July 19, 2008 10:05 PM adjust logic of indents
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 10:03 PM
  • So I had this same problem and I read the later posts and they suggested to get a new IP for the new computer.

So I hooked up to an unprotected network wirelessly and the program ran fine. It now works on the second computer. (I really dislike how Windows tries to make things secure and stuff but really just makes it not work...)

So if you can bring your computer over to a friend's and set up your account there, then that might fix it. mind you your friend probably won't be able to use the service.
    • Proposed as answer by Snakedog Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:08 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:07 PM
  • and what must one do if both CPUs are in the same house on the same router???
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:23 PM
  • and what must one do if both CPUs are in the same house on the same router???

What are you currently encountering?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I was able solve my issue with Live mesh by apparently updating my graphics card driver.  I have an XP SP3 system with a Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 card.  I could not get Live Mesh to work without the error message.  I recently updated the video driver and re-installed Live Mesh.  It installed properly and is now working fine.

OK, so now after a couple eof re-starts, I am still back to the error with "Lie Mesh is currently starting"
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:44 PM