Windows Home Server == Worst backup decision I've ever made RRS feed

• General discussion

• Perhaps I should have seen it coming buying a V1 product but boy was I stupid.  My HP Home Server has been nothing but trouble since the day that I bought it.  For over a month now I've been trying to get data off the darn thing with only marginal luck.  Network serving over a gigabit connection is all but useless. This is because (I assume) the CPU is ALWAYS pegged.  I tried doing an OS restore, but that didn't really help.  I tried using the "backup" function, but as soon as the TS session dies (I've never been able to keep one up for more than 10 or so hours) the process seems to die.  I've resorted to TSing into the box and manually copying data to an attached USB drive.  Then, when the connection dies, I do a diff to see how far into the copy it got.  All the while it's copying at MISERABLE data rates.  At this rate I'll be doing this until I die (or at least another month).

There has to be a better way to get data off.  There just has to be!

Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:36 PM

All replies

• Have you contacted HP for assistance? What you describe makes me think there's a hardware issue with your server, and (really) we aren't going to be able to solve that sort of issue for you. If it was a home-built server, we could give you some pointers, but you'd solve it yourself in the end. With an OEM server, you have tech support to call, at least.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 2:48 AM
  • For accessing your data outside of the WHS environment, please check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    For your problems it might be helpful to get more informations (i.e. errors from the event log) but from my experience I confirm Kens opinion, that you face an hardware error of some kind.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:32 AM