CRM Exchange rates...how do they work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm trying to investigate how exchange rates in CRM work. I have found some inconsistencies. For example, if i create a new quote and add some line items, then change the exchange rate, it doesn't alter the rate on any line item or on the quote itself. However, if i edit one item (say the quantity), then it uses the new exchange rate on that one line item, not the others. If i add a new line item, it uses the new exchange rate, but does not update the others.

The same issue arises with Opportunities. However, if i then create a Quote from an Opportunity, the Quote line items (taken from the Opportunity) all use the current exchange rates, not the original ones that are in the Opportunity!

Does anyone know if this is a known issue or a 'feature' - if it's a feature then can anyone explain the logic behind it?

Thanks all in advance! :-)

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The scenario you describe is the way the CRM works...

The exchange rate is used when changing or using Money fields on the item...

Or when changing record state (opportunity/quote, etc)

My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:06 PM
  • ok, in that case am i able to programmatically update the base values?

I have had a quick attempt at trying this with an Opportunity and it works fine - I simply retrieved the Opportunities and did an update on them using the crm sdk. this was enough to change the exchange rate and base values on the Opportunity and Opportunity Products.

however, i tried the same with a quote and this wasn't the case - updating a quote didn't force through an update of the exchange rate or base values! even editing a quote product line item didn't change the exchage rate used at the quote level (it did change the exchange rate used at quotedetail level tho)

Is it simply a restriction on CRM that the exchange rate used on a quote wont change???

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Did you update a Money field?
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:59 PM
  • well i tried again after i made my post - i changed the quantity on an quote line item updated the quote, then set the quantity back and updated the quote line item again. this is enough to update the quote line items exchange rate and base values and the quote exchange rate and base values. However, i was wondering if there is a less 'messy' way of doing this?

i tried to update just the description (on the hope i could create a new dummy field and use that instead) but it made no difference. it seems to me that we need to make a 'monetary change' to the quote to force through the new exchange rate. Why does doing a simple update using the SDK work fine for an Opportunity but not a quote?

Is there any other way of achiveing this without having to be 'messy' about it?

Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:08 PM