Dead in the water and nowhere to turn. RRS feed

• Question

•  

After last update my WLOC stopped working.  I went to restore and it worked then, but it required an update and then it stopped working again.  I rebooted several times.  No change.  I was going to uninstall it and install it again, but WLOC was not listed among the programs in control panel (uninstall list).  I put my WLOC disk in and tried to install it (without removing it first). The installation went along well until near the end of the install, but would not complete. Tried it three times.   I have a similar problem on my second computer.  

I suspect something was wrong with last update.  You'll know if this is so.

Installation error message reads:

“One or more components of windows live One care did not install successfully.  Contact assistance.

Error ID:  0019-80070643

I started to submit a help request but not sure if it got through. (I sent my One care "status" in.  That much I know.) 

Now I find I cannot sign in to One Care.  Password and product key were rejected several times.  Changed password. New password wouldn't get me in either. 

I'll continue to work on this tomorrow.

At the moment there's not a trace of one care on my computer.  I'm unprotected. 

Regards,  Don

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• That error indicates that the firewall cannot install. Try running the cleanup tool -   http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2 and then reinstall OneCare from http://onecare.live.com, activating with your subscription LiveID.

If this still does not work, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:04 PM
  • Thanks Stephen. 

I went through the process you suggested but the problem remained.  I'm now being helped by Jenny at One Care Support. 

In the meantime, I've installed AVG Free to carry me over, until my One Care is up and running again.  (I realize I'll have to remove the AVG when One Care is reinstalled. 

By the way, I've had One Care for nearly a year now and never had any problems before.  I like the service very much and have recommended it to all the old ladies I know who are buying computers (2).  Thanks again.

Cheers, Don.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:56 PM
  • You're welcome, Don. Please do let us know what resolves it for you.

-steve

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:07 PM
  • I was very happy with my One Care Live, but after an update in mid-July, it stopped working.  I posted on this forum and received a good response, and I carried out the recommended procedure, but it didn't help.  I then contacted Tech Support (Case ID: SRX1072961301) and carefully carried out their first set of instructions, but that didn't work either.  I replied to the tech message and reported the negative results, but didn't hear back until a different technician told me they hadn't heard back from me and closed my case.  I went back immediately, forwarding my previous message with the results and data.  I then heard back from the new tech and I carried out his recommendations, but my One Care was still not working.  I immediately responded to him with the results and data.  That was on 19th of July, but I've not heard back from him.  (I also tried email addresses they recommended to get back to them, but these addresses don't work. Mail rejected.) I've sent duplicate messages with data, screenshots, etc., and these emails seem to have gotten through (they aren't rejected), but for some reason they don't seem to receive my emails at the other end.  Or else they're overloaded and haven't been able to get back to me.  In my last two messages, I asked the tech centre to let me know if they received these messages, but have not had a reply. 

A second problem is that I can no longer sign in to reach tech help on the One Care Live website.  My password is not recognized, nor is my product key.

I'm using AVG free at the moment to protect myself from viruses.  I would prefer to stick with One Care, because I think it's great, but I may have to look somewhere else if I can't get it working.

I have a new HP Quad 4  computer with Vista.  I've had One Care LIve for almost a year and had no problem at all until the recent update (around July 15th).

(I have One Care Live on an old, secondary computer with XP and it's working there--although it needs some attention, I think.).

What I need right now is to get a reliable connection with tech help. 

Regards,  Don.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Hi, Don.

I'll ask for your case to be looked into.

-steve

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Thanks Stephen.  I'm sure we'll solve the problem, whatever it is.

Cheers, Don.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:41 PM
  • My fingers are crossed. I haven't heard back, but I do hope that someone higher up contacts you and takes over the case. Please do keep me posted.

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:00 AM
  • Thanks Stephen.  I was and am quite willing to patiently wait my turn; however, based on what happened with my responses, I had the feeling there was a failure somewhere in the communication channel. 

Cheers, Don.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:59 AM
  • I tried to run the clean up program and it said I needed to be the "Administrator" well I am. I am the only person on this Laptop. Microsoft is becoming a great reason to go to Linux. No mater what you do MS has a way of screwing you.

Friday, July 25, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Download the cleanup tool to your desktop then right click the file and select "Run as Administrator".

Friday, July 25, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Hi Again Stephen:

I Haven't heard anything further from anyone about my case (Microsoft Service Request: ID SRX1072961301).  I last heard from Jenny Li on the 15th of July.  Then the case was closed by Mr. Chang.  Then I got it reopened by him.  My reply to Mr. Chang's recommendations on the case went out on the 19th of July.  On the 20th I asked him to confirm he'd received my reply, but have not heard anything.  Nor has anyone else contacted me.  Right now, my basic problem is that One Care doesn't exist anywhere on my computer and it refuses to complete the installation (installs almost to end, then stops and gives error message and does clean up afterwards.). I've carried out a number of procedures, which were requested early on, with negative results.   The reason I'm posting here is that there seems to be a communications problem between me and those who wanted to help me, namely Jenny Li and Mr. Chang.  I have a copy of all the messages, attachments and data.  (There's 23 of them, mostly from me [mostly repeating information] and mostly unaswered.)  I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to start over with a new case number and see what happens. 

P.S.  I don't know where the tech reps who do the problem solving are.  Is it possible they're in a country with restricted Internet access right now? 

Cheers, Don.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Hang in there, Don. I'll poke and see what the status is on following up. The techs who handle email support are in China, I believe.

-steve

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Thanks Steve.  I plan to stick with it until the problem is resolved.  Not only do I like One Care, I'm curious about the cause.

Cheers, Donn.

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Hi Steve:

I received excellent help from a Live One Care IT (Keith).  He took remote control of my computer and he worked at the problem until he'd resolved it. It was fascinating to watch it.  It wasn't easy.  I think the problem was related to some kind of corruption on my computer.  In any case, my Live One Care has been working fine for two days now, and I'm once again a happy camper. 

I'm impressed with the excellent support I've received and glad to have the excellent One Care system working for me again. 

Many thanks for your help and support.

Cheers, Don.

Friday, August 1, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Don, thanks for the update. I am glad to read that it is resolved. :-)

-steve

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 5:08 PM