locked
Syntoy 2.0B will not start on Vista32 RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    Hi all,

     

    Vista Ultimate 32bit

    Synctoy 2.0 Beta (just downloaded)

    .net2.0 installed as part of the OS

    .net1.0 and 1.1 installed

     

    I have installed Syntoy with no problems.  When I go to start it for the first time I get the 'user involvement' statement.  I click yes to send feedback, synctoy.exe then consumes around 45% CPU and its memory climbs before the process dissapears from task manager.  There are no event log records (application/system/security).  If I try and restart the program I briefly see the application in taskmanager before it disapears again.

     

    I have cleared the appdata/local/microsoft/synctoy folder and re-installed, no joy.

     

    Funny thing is - I have another Vista32 mahcine here that it works just fine on and a Vista 64 machine that it works on - cannot see what is different on this one.

     

    Any ideas???

     

    Rich

    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:42 AM

Answers

  • Hi all,

     

    There were no logs produced at all and I have UAC disabled.

     

    In the end I gave up - this evening I trashed the system and installed Vista x64 Business on my laptop - synctoy 2.0B installed first time with no worries at all.  God knows what was wrong with the previous incident!

     

    Rich

     

    Monday, June 23, 2008 9:28 PM

All replies

  • Sorry for the delay on this.  I am not aware of any issues but I am forwarding this to engineering to see if they have any thoughts.

     

    Liam

     

    Monday, June 23, 2008 2:22 PM
  • Thanks, only real difference is that I have SQL2005 Std Edition installed on the failing system.  Could this have affected the SQL Express version installed with Synctoy?  I uninstalled and resinstalled the Synctoy version but it made no difference...

     

    R

    Monday, June 23, 2008 3:05 PM
  • I doubt that would be the issue and actually SyncToy uses SQL Server Compact (not Express). 

     

    You could try the following if you have the time:

     

    1) Uninstalling SQL Server Compact and SyncToy

    2) Make sure the c:\program files\synctoy directory is actually gone

    3) Backup (e.g., move) the contents of \Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0  (this is where the folder pair information, etc is stored)

    4) Re-install SyncToy 2.0 Beta

     

    Liam

     

    Monday, June 23, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

     

    I actually have already done this in my own trouble-shooting phase.  It, unfortunately, made no difference at all.

     

    Rich

    Monday, June 23, 2008 3:28 PM
  • Rich,

     

    Do you see anything in the logs (synctoy log and/or Vista event log)? Do you have SQLCE 3.1 installed?

     

    Liam

     

    Monday, June 23, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Just another thought.  I wonder if this is possibly a UAC issue? Can you try to install as admin?

     

    Liam

     

    Monday, June 23, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Hi all,

     

    There were no logs produced at all and I have UAC disabled.

     

    In the end I gave up - this evening I trashed the system and installed Vista x64 Business on my laptop - synctoy 2.0B installed first time with no worries at all.  God knows what was wrong with the previous incident!

     

    Rich

     

    Monday, June 23, 2008 9:28 PM
  • OK, sorry I could not help you more, but at least you got it working!

     

    Liam

     

    Monday, June 23, 2008 9:57 PM
  •  

    Thanks for your efforts Liam - my guess is that I installed something wrongly on that build and simply could not find it....

     

    R

    Monday, June 23, 2008 10:00 PM