Prnter Installation question RRS feed

• Question

•  

Howdy y'all ,

I have a HP PSC 1310/1311 All In One and I would like to install it on my WHS so i can use it as a print server as well as the many other things I already am using it for.

However , there are NO drivers for Windows 2003 for this printer , however I have the XP and Vista drivers and they work fine for my PC's , BUT when I try to install the driver I get a warning that the OS is not recognized , it says it WILL install the driver but it cannot guarantee they will work. 

Am I screwed? or should I try to install the XP drivers?

Thanks for any help

Sunday, January 27, 2008 5:56 AM

All replies

•  

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2574077&SiteID=50

The above post is all you need... there are a couple of suggestions and fixes on there that allowed me to install all of my printers.  Only one of my three printers installed on whs initially. 

Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:31 PM
  •  

Thanks brudda!!

I think I'm gonna try to install the XP driver in XP mode , I'm not too hip on all that Kernel driver jazz , I here the words Kernel and problems in the same sentence and I get flashbacks to windows 98 stop errors and my blood pressure goes up , besides you can fix the Kernel ,  just promote his butt to General and that should cure all his problems. 

Thanks again , I'm off to set up my network printer!!

Sunday, January 27, 2008 5:09 PM
  •  

Well I got it installed , it would NOT take the drivers no matter what i did and there are NO Server 2003 drivers for this printer.

However , I just plugged the printer into the server and it found new hardware and got driver from both the driver disk and windows update , the printer then worked from all my computers BUT I could not scan or copy at all , these are features that we use regularly so i had to move the printer back to my computer.

Oh well , can't have it all I guess.

Monday, January 28, 2008 5:12 AM
  • Glad you got it working, sometimes this can be a pain with some printers...Mine installed very smoothly.
    For those of you that have a printer installed and now want to share it over the Local Area Network or the Internet, we have a great set of tutorials that can guide you through this process..

More over at http://www.myhomeserver.com
    Monday, January 28, 2008 6:09 PM
  • I remember someone here suggested Remote Scan to set up network scanning.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 6:20 PM
  •  Thanks for the links y'all , I will look over that MHS website!!

That Remote scan , is that anything like the Scanning software that comes with Vista Ultimate? becuase that did not work.

I think the probelm is that there are NO scanner drivers that install for my printer , my all in one has about 4 devices in it and I don't think they all installed.

I am writing HP to ask them if they will make some drivers for the 1311 series and WHS or Server 2003 , I did the same thing for Vista and they said they would not and to buy a new printer or use the printer scanner program that came with Vista Ulti and the "in the box" drivers , then they wrote me back and told me they would have drivers AND software in about a month , and they did.....so go figure , what can it hurt?

thanks again ,

JBB

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:15 PM