Error: "BackupWizard.exe is not a valid Win32 application" RRS feed

• Question

•  

Why do I get the following error when I attempt to back up my files? "BackupWizard.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

I rebooted the PC and I still get the error.

Thanks for any help,

Mike S.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• It sounds like the file might be corrupt. You might want to try a reinstall or contact support. Did Backup work before? Is this a new install? Was OneCare just updated from 2.0 to 2.5 on this machine? Are you trying to run backup under an Administrator or Limited User account? What OS?

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:06 PM
  •  

Yes Backup worked for 3 month before today.

No, this is not a new install.

Was OneCare just updated from 2.0 to 2.5 on this machine? No.

Are you trying to run backup under an Administrator? Yes.

What OS?  XP Pro SP3

Thanks for any help.

Mike S.

Can I just Reinstall the BackupWizard.exe file? I don't want to reinstall the whole program.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:30 PM
  • I don't know, Mike. I've never seen this problem before. Do you have access to another machine with that file of the same version of OneCare. Since it's borked now, I can't see the harm in copying over from another PC to see if that works. Is any other OneCare functionality not working?

Before doing anything drastic, have you tried a simple reboot? How about creating another Admin user Account via Control Panel/users, and logging on to that ID to see if you can execute it from there. It may be a registry issue...

-steve

Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:28 AM