Multiple Restore Files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  My hard drive died and I replaced it, ran the HP recovery disks and reinstalled all my programs etc.  I had been backing up incrementally to an external USB drive.  I proceeded to try to restore and backup indicates it does not find a current or previous backup and that I need to connect the already connected USB drive and hit next. I do so and am able to select the external USB drive. It finds the following two files in order:

HP3 Backup 2007 on WD     external hard drive (drive JSmile     05/10/2007
    HP3 Backup 2007-A on WD  external hard drive (drive JSmile    12/02/2007

Do I select each, in turn, or only the latest one?  Thanks.

Tom
    Monday, December 10, 2007 4:20 AM

Answers

• Only the latest one. It would appear that you did a reinstall some time between May and December.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:32 AM

All replies

• Only the latest one. It would appear that you did a reinstall some time between May and December.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:32 AM
  • Steve,

Thanks very much for the reply.  I definitely did not do a reinstall between May and December.  Any idea whether there is another explanation or I need to do anything special beyond restoring the latest file?

Tom
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:17 AM
  • It may have been a second new/full backup between May and December. You can use the Restore Wizard and view the backup contents of each backup set before actually restoring if you wish, but I'm confident that the later date is the set that you want to restore from.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:28 PM