purpose of media sharing? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've read the help file and still dont understand exactly what media sharing does. Does it auto copy your media files from a backup into the appropriate folders, because I didnt see that happen.

Now I did manually copy some mp3's, photo's and a quicktime video into their shared folders, I do not have media sharing enabled and they load just fine on other computers on the network.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 1:35 AM

Answers

• Media sharing allows WHS to use Windows Media Connect (built into the server) to stream your media files to other devices in your house. This is different from simply accessing the files through the network shares; instead of having to watch additional folders in Media Player (for example) anything that's on the server in a recognized media format will be streamable directly from the server.

There are some caveats: the files have to be a recognized media type (so no DivX), and the target device must be capable of receiving the appropriate type of stream. It's more limited than streaming from one media center PC to a Media Extender, but similar in concept.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 3:29 AM
  • That would be this one. Smile

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 9:02 PM

All replies

• Media sharing allows WHS to use Windows Media Connect (built into the server) to stream your media files to other devices in your house. This is different from simply accessing the files through the network shares; instead of having to watch additional folders in Media Player (for example) anything that's on the server in a recognized media format will be streamable directly from the server.

There are some caveats: the files have to be a recognized media type (so no DivX), and the target device must be capable of receiving the appropriate type of stream. It's more limited than streaming from one media center PC to a Media Extender, but similar in concept.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 3:29 AM
  • I don´t see any documentation about this in the leaflet that came with the OEM disk. Can anyone shed light on the following:

1) What do I gain by using streaming instead of just opening and playing a file directly from the server. I guess bandwidth, but how much?
    2) Can this feature be activated for other folders that I create myself, for example a subfolder to a user acount folder?
    3) where can I find a list of which filetypes that are recognised? Obviously not DivX though it's a common filetype...
    What about MP3, FLAC, xvid...?

These things are good to know before you fill the server, since at least in RC1 it takes a while to Move files from one folder to another...

/Bjorn
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 1:15 PM
  • Wikipedia is your friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Connect 

1) you don't really gain anything except the ability to play media via a player or device that supports UPnP AV.  Of course there are other (better in my opinion) streaming services available for free but this is MS so they have to throw in their own semi-proprietary version (doesn't do non-MS formats).

2) There is a way but I'm not around my box to validate.

3) good question.  I don't know if there is a complete list of supported file types on MS's site. 

mp3? yes. FLAC? nope. Xvid? nope.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:15 PM
  • In regards to the list of supported file types, if you do a search in these forums you will find a list - Joel Burt put one together a while back.

Andrew

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:20 PM
  • That would be this one. Smile

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 9:02 PM