windows live mail 2011 keeps configuring

• After I installed windows live mail 2011, each time I run the application it keeps having a configuration dialogue.  The process is a msiexec.exe (windows installer) that is executed each time the program is launched.  I had a similar problem to the office 2010 system before, but was resolved by using Revo Uninstaller and doing a clean install of office.  Now how do I fix this as I tried that and many other things.
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 11:18 PM

All replies

• This is the Windows Live Writer Forum; for topics pertaining to 'Windows Live Writer'. This forum is meant to be a resource for those who are looking for more information about Writer or want to start a discussion with the Writer team and other people using Writer.

Perhaps you should be submitting your questions here:

Saturday, October 09, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Office is the cause of these reconfiguration problems. Here is my solution posted elsewhere to solve the same problem with Office, but it also solved the Live Mail problem:

This problem appears to be a registry permissions problem. Office changes access permissions to certain registry folders to prevent changes by the PC user, administrators and system. Different versions of Office do this in different ways. The result is that after several versions of Office are installed, the software can no longer access the registry to configure and hence repeats configuration each time it starts. Office 2003 seems to be the worst culprit. Microsoft should have fixed this.

Repairing the registry or attempting to reset permissions will not work because access to Office folders are blocked for changes.

The only solution that I have found that works is to do the following:

- Remove all versions of Office. If this is not possible try System Restore to restore to a previous date without Office. As a last resort use the Microsoft Office Removal Tools (or Fixits). Be warned these can mess up your OS.

- Disable or remove any AV software. If you have .Net installed, remove it.

- Reboot the machine into Windows 7 (or Vista) and perform a repair install. To do this insert the Windows DVD, make sure it matches the version you have installed and have your license key ready. Start install and when you get the screen to choose upgrade or new install, choose upgrade. Windows should install itself over the existing installation keeping all programs and files intact. However you will loose any Windows updates. These will have to be reinstalled later.

- Machine will reboot into Windows, enter your license key and reactivate.

- Proceed to install the version of Office you want, plus reinstall your AV software and .Net.

This should fix the problem

• Proposed as answer by Your PC Monday, February 07, 2011 4:52 PM
    Monday, February 07, 2011 4:52 PM