CRM 4.0 for Microsoft Office Outlook is not getting configured at all RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently had implemented the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 for a client, the CRM application is working perfectly from Internet Explorer externally but the CRM 4.0 client for Microsoft Office Outlook is not getting configured at all.

Need your support on this very urgently.

Best regards, Anand

Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hello, what do you mean by "not getting configured at all"?

Please provide the information as requested in the Help Us to Help You sticky post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/crmdeployment/thread/d5d77b9c-524b-4162-8974-f4dd40703774

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Actually, the error/issue is that as soon as you provide the server name of the CRM server in the CRM 4.0 for Outlook configuration, I receive the following error.

"The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM server is not available. Make sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try opening it in Internet Explorer."

But, the CRM application via the browser (via WAN) works perfectly, not a problem at all.

Best regards, Anand

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:08 AM
  • WAN? Do you mean that the CRM is not hosted on the local network? If so, you'll need to select the service provider option when configuring the Outlook client.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:12 AM
  • CRM is hosted on the local network, but for the remote user to access via Outlook, we are configuring via the URL which is being accessed by Internet Explorer.

So, the CRM URL works perfectly on Internet Explorer, but when trying to configure using the CRM client, we get the error "The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM server is not available. Make sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try opening it in Internet Explorer."

Do you think it could be a connectivity issue, if it is a connectivity issue, how could the URL works via Internet Explorer when remotely accessed.

--Anand

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:13 PM
  • OK, let's start from the beginning. When you deploy CRM on-premise you can choose to deploy it in the internet facing deployment (IFD) configuration. IFD enables you to provide access to the CRM system to users outside your network without using a VPN because it changes the usual authentication mechanism from integrated Windows authentication (IWA) to a form-based authentication method. If configured properly, users inside your network can use IWA to authenticate and users outside can use IFD.

When deploying the CRM for Outlook client, if you're using a PC on the local network using the 'My Company' option, and if you're not on the local network use the 'Online service provider option' in the configuration wizard.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2008/04/11/using-the-crm-outlook-client-without-a-vpn-connection.aspx

If this doesn't work, it is most likely a problem with the way that you've configured IFD. It can be tricky!

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, January 17, 2011 9:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:22 PM