Remove hard disk wizard stuck RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I started the drive removal wizard yesterday, this was left running until the wizard was 90% complete at which point it was left overnight. Unfortunately the machine was shut down at some point overnight before the wizard completed. The drive now shows as 0% full (via disk management add-in) and 99% free space via computer management and the drive is still listed as being part of the storage pool.
    I re-ran the wizard this morning (about 3 hours ago) it’s now just sitting at 10% with no hard disk activity - I assume its empty but for some reason its not being released from the pool? Can I just pull this drive out or can I force it out of the pool?

Regards,
    Alan.

Monday, October 19, 2009 10:01 AM

Answers

• The (supported) method would be to do  a server reinstall. This may take a very long time, especially if you have a large amount of data.

Alternatively, if the drive is empty you can:

1. Logon to your server desktop
    2. Open regedit (Start, Run, type regedit and Hit Enter)
    3. Browse to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\
    4. Right click the Key and select Export, save on server desktop or USB thumb drive
    5. Browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks
    6. Try and identify the subkey reperesenting the problem disk
    7. Write down the name of this subkey (Something like "xxxxxxxx-0000-0000-0000-000000000000")
    8. Find all occurrences of this subkey in the registry (Ctrl+F to search) and delete them.
    9. Reboot your server
    10. If you accidentally deleted the wrong key delete the complet key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\, then double click the backup you saved in "4" and reboot.

Please NOTE, if you make anay errors here you may mess up your server.
    • Marked as answer by madlan Monday, October 19, 2009 4:40 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:30 PM

All replies

• Please try;

1. Shutdown your server
    2. Physically remove your server
    3. Reboot server
    4. Try and remove the disk from the console.
    5. Reboot, then check the Health Indicator in the WHS console for any errors

After you have physically removed the disk you can check if there are any files left on the disk and recover them using the procedure outlined in How to recover data after server failure, last section "copy the data manually to a new location"

If you are not able to remove the disk in this way please post again.

Note: It could be Windows Update caused your server to reboot during the disk removal process. Can you please check if this assumption is correct in the server event logs? (Logon to your server desktop, remote desktop is OK, then Start, Run, Type eventvwr.msc and Hit Enter. Look for events just prior to the reboot in the System event logs)
    • Edited by brubberModerator Monday, October 19, 2009 11:22 AM added reboot and check for errors after disk removal
    Monday, October 19, 2009 11:20 AM
  • I cannot remove the drive when it's removed, the wizard sits at 90% - Have checked the drive and its empty.

Thanks.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:38 PM
  • The (supported) method would be to do  a server reinstall. This may take a very long time, especially if you have a large amount of data.

Alternatively, if the drive is empty you can:

1. Logon to your server desktop
    2. Open regedit (Start, Run, type regedit and Hit Enter)
    3. Browse to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\
    4. Right click the Key and select Export, save on server desktop or USB thumb drive
    5. Browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks
    6. Try and identify the subkey reperesenting the problem disk
    7. Write down the name of this subkey (Something like "xxxxxxxx-0000-0000-0000-000000000000")
    8. Find all occurrences of this subkey in the registry (Ctrl+F to search) and delete them.
    9. Reboot your server
    10. If you accidentally deleted the wrong key delete the complet key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\, then double click the backup you saved in "4" and reboot.

Please NOTE, if you make anay errors here you may mess up your server.
    • Marked as answer by madlan Monday, October 19, 2009 4:40 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Thanks Brubber, I deleted the subkey (Only 1 in the mentioned location)
    The drive is now outside of the pool.

Many thanks.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:40 PM