Workflow Support in 2011 - Using Custom entities in Workflows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have created a custom entity which have the primary entity as Contact, I would like to run the workflow by using that custom entity I have created but I am unable to run as it doesn't appear in the list.

Can we run the workflow on user built or cusomt entities created by user?

I am using Dynamics 2011 RTm Version.

Also Wait Until condition is still not working as per Execution time and postpone time is still 9999, can we change that somehow?

Many thank in advance for your help!

Fayz

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hi

What is the entity on which you are writing the workflow on? Is it the Contact entity?

CRM workflows will only display the related entities which are parent / referential parent to the entity on which the entity will run. So for example, in your case, if you are writing the workflow on the Contact entity, you will get the Account entity in your conditions, but no the Contact_Survey (primailry because there is going to be only one account entity associated with the contact, but there can be multiple Contact_Survey associated with the contact - the workflow does not know which one to validate the condition on).

If you are workflow is triggered on the Contact_Survey entity, you will not get the Contact entity in your condiftions. The workaround this is to use a custom plugin and write .NET code and hold all the Contact_Survey entities in an array and then run your conditions against it.

Or if possible, write the workflow on the Contact_Survey - but this may or may not work based on what you are trying to accomplish.

• Proposed as answer by AniMandal Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fkhoja Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:38 PM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hello Fayz,

The custom entities should appear in the workflow, by default.

Cornel Croitoriu - Senior Software Developer & Entrepreneur

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

CWS SoftwareBiz-Forward.comCroitoriu.NET

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Hi Cornel

Thanks for your reply.

I have created Contact_Survey as custom entity, which have the many to one relationship with Contact.

I now like to perform various tasks on Contact_Survey by using the worrkflow created on Contact but this Contact_Survey entities is not appearing in workflows.

If I use create/Update option in workflows it does show me the options but not when I like to use as an IF / Wait conditions without createing or updating the custom entity.

Thanks.

Fayz

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Hi

What is the entity on which you are writing the workflow on? Is it the Contact entity?

CRM workflows will only display the related entities which are parent / referential parent to the entity on which the entity will run. So for example, in your case, if you are writing the workflow on the Contact entity, you will get the Account entity in your conditions, but no the Contact_Survey (primailry because there is going to be only one account entity associated with the contact, but there can be multiple Contact_Survey associated with the contact - the workflow does not know which one to validate the condition on).

If you are workflow is triggered on the Contact_Survey entity, you will not get the Contact entity in your condiftions. The workaround this is to use a custom plugin and write .NET code and hold all the Contact_Survey entities in an array and then run your conditions against it.

Or if possible, write the workflow on the Contact_Survey - but this may or may not work based on what you are trying to accomplish.

• Proposed as answer by AniMandal Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fkhoja Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:38 PM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Thank Ani!

This does makes sense now, I figured out that this is because the relationship must be many to one to have the custom entity display and to use in workflows.

Many thanks!

Do you know if the wait until condition still works? I am trying to work out on timing basis to hold the workflow until the User age come up to the actual age band but its not working for me.

I actually want to perform certain actions after 10 minutes when Contact is been created as Active Contact, any help on this please?

Many thanks

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:43 PM