I think the firewall is giving me problems RRS feed

• Question

• Within the last few days, I started having problems accessing Amazon.com. Sometimes when I try to access any page at Amazon, my browser acts like I am not connected to the net. I can access any other site, just not Amazon. And it doesn't matter what I am trying to access at Amazon. It is for anaything. All different pages. If I keep trying periodically, the page will eventually load, and then I have no problems for a while. I originally thought maybe it was a caching issue of something, but I have cleared all the temporary internet files, and besides, it does it on pages I have never accessed before.

I also have a small Perl script that accesses Amazon Web Services to get prices on various DVDs. It will make repeated calls and takes a while to run. This script which was working fine and hasn't changed, can no longer access Amazon.

Now Amazon uses rotating IPs. What I am thinking is that somehow the OneCare firewall has blocked some, but not all of Amazon's IP addresses. So if calls are currently being routed to a blocked IP, I get the screen saying page not found, that I am not connected to the net. But when Amazon switches to another IP address, all of a sudden it works.

The only site I am having problems with is Amazon.com. I don't experience these issues from my other computer.

How can I check the rules? Is there a log file I can look at to see if this is what is happening? Can I remove these rules?

Thanks,

RJ

Sunday, February 10, 2008 12:34 PM

Answers

• I doubt that it is the firewall if it only affect accessing Amazon. OneCare does not block web sites or IP addresses. I would be more suspicious of a Hosts file in use or a problem with your ISP's DNS server.

To confirm that it isn't OneCare, turn off the OneCare firewall temporarily.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:53 AM

All replies

• I doubt that it is the firewall if it only affect accessing Amazon. OneCare does not block web sites or IP addresses. I would be more suspicious of a Hosts file in use or a problem with your ISP's DNS server.

To confirm that it isn't OneCare, turn off the OneCare firewall temporarily.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:53 AM
  • try this it is write it down www...web page .com  do not use your  favorite . Favorite should not be use on secure web site.

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:37 PM