none
Advice for the 70-511 exam RRS feed

• Question

• My exam is coming up in a few weeks and I'm looking for some tips. I keep hearing about people failing this exam, some with several years of experience with WPF, and I want to do everything possible to make sure I don't fall in to that group. Here is a little about my experience and what I have done to study so far....

1. I have several years programming experience. Only about a year of it is with C# though and most of it has been with winforms.

2. I'm a computer science major about a year away from getting my BS and have taken courses in C#.

3. I've read the Microsoft 70-511 Training kit twice and have taken all the practice tests on the CD, and usually pass with an 85%.

4. I have read many articles on msdn about WPF.

5. I've done several of the 70-511 Training Kits practice applications and have started building two more complex applications on my own.

This is my first Microsoft exam and because I keep hearing about people failing this one I'm a little nervous. If any one has any advice on some other things I can do please leave a response.

Friday, June 3, 2011 1:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• One additional suggestion:

Go to the exam description page:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-511&locale=en-us#tab2

and then check out each entry on the list and make sure that you are knowledgeable about the corresponding topic. If there is someting there that you are not comfortable with, search MSDN for that topic and study the documentation.

Saturday, June 4, 2011 7:50 PM
  • "search MSDN for that topic and study the documentation" and I would advise you to do  more programming (hands on)  regarding the topic as well. Imagine different scenarios and check the output when you run your program. It is time consuming but you learn better by coding.

Regards

Gaspard

Saturday, June 4, 2011 8:38 PM
  • I gave and cleared the 70/511 certification exam yesterday - scored 780(passing score is 700). My advice -

* If you study the self placed book and are scoring well in its practice exams - that is kind off misleading as in my opinion, questions in actual exam required a lot more hands-on experience/knowledge. I have been working on WPF for last couple of years and it really helped in some of the real life scenarios based ques.

* Whenever you give practice exam that comes along with the Self Practice book CD, there is a section called "Leaning Path/Plan" on the results page which has msdn links on all areas where you need to learn more. Paying heed to that really helped in the exam as I was able to spend time on right areas. 

* Before giving the exam, I'd advise going through at least 1 set of sample questions by those 3rd party ones. I didnt buy anything and I'm NOT a supporter of dumps, but I just picked up a demo sample paper for 70-511 like below and that was helpful enough to get the better sense of what to expect in the exam.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57464829/100/Question-100

* Personal experience(may not apply on everyone) - There were a lot of ques I couldnt answer at all in first go. But I followed the strategy of not wasting time and marking every ques where I was not sure and finishing all ques I was confident at, first. Then reviewed all marked ques on second scan and was able to get through a lot of them.

Lastly - this was my first MS certification and I found it quite challenging.

Hope it helps..

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Seeing you list of 1-5, I meet 1, 2, 3, 5. The only thing I haven't done is reading msdn articles. And I failed.

With 2, I have higher academic qualifications, but that doesn't mean anything.

With 5, I got 90% before going for the real exam. So that score doesn't mean anything either.

What I can say is, if you go for the exam now and pass, 4 must be the reason. :) Otherwise you may likely "fall into that group".

I'm actually surprised that I didn't pass, because the MS Press test gave me the illusion that I've known enough.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by StephieM Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:35 AM
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:34 PM
  • What I can say is, if you go for the exam now and pass, 4 must be the reason. :) Otherwise you may likely "fall into that group".

I'm actually surprised that I didn't pass, because the MS Press test gave me the illusion that I've known enough. But the actual exam is harder, and almost none of the MS Press test questions appeared in the real exam for me.

Hope this helps.

You need to be very careful about what you discuss about the exam as you are very close to breaching the exam NDA which you agreed too before taking the exam!
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Ok, Jeff, I've edited my post and removed the sentence that I think you're referrering to.

I didn't think it was breaching the NDA, it was mainly just critisism for the MS Press software. But If you think that's too much information, I'll take it back.

Basically all I wanted to say was, the OP's 5 things wouldn't necessarily let him pass. He shouldn't rely on that book and the software too much.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:40 AM