Can live mesh support multi OS in one PC? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed about 3 OS (all are windows 7) in my PC. I can install live mesh for all of them. But I cannot map one folder to clound 3 times in my 3 OS. Only the first one can success.

Does live mesh support this case? I want the folder can always be sync whenever I login to any OS, and I do not want to map it to three different folder in clound.

One more thing: I have one mapping live D:\A\B (local) <---> B (clound). If D: is in my second disk, and I replaced it with a new disk. Then when I start the OS, the D: may disappeared used my a wrong partition. Then the path D:\A\B can not be found. I think in this time, live mesh should do nothing about this or create a new D:\A\B instead. Unfortunately, it deleted all the files and folders under B in clound.

I think this may be a bug.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 2:25 AM

Answers

• If you are setting up a triple boot machine, the scenario of synchronizing a single shared data drive contents would work, though it can cause some unexpected results, so make sure that your data is backed up outside of the cloud.

If you have cloned the OS on the machine in some fashion to create a triple boot machine and are using a 3rd party boot manager, no, that would not be supported as the cloned OS will look to Mesh to be a single machine and not 3 machines as a triple boot with 3 operating systems installed.

I'm not sure that I understand your scenario with the mapping, but when a folder in the Mesh is deleted, that deletion is replicated to the Mesh. If the entire Mesh folder is unavailable, Mesh would not delete the folder from your Mesh, but it would present an error.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, April 5, 2010 3:07 PM

All replies

• If you are setting up a triple boot machine, the scenario of synchronizing a single shared data drive contents would work, though it can cause some unexpected results, so make sure that your data is backed up outside of the cloud.

If you have cloned the OS on the machine in some fashion to create a triple boot machine and are using a 3rd party boot manager, no, that would not be supported as the cloned OS will look to Mesh to be a single machine and not 3 machines as a triple boot with 3 operating systems installed.

I'm not sure that I understand your scenario with the mapping, but when a folder in the Mesh is deleted, that deletion is replicated to the Mesh. If the entire Mesh folder is unavailable, Mesh would not delete the folder from your Mesh, but it would present an error.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~

-steve