Money 2005 UK - QFE2, Help Pane Pain! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just installed Money 2005 UK - QFE2 but the Help Pages are not working.

I can open the internet links within the program, but when opening the Help Icon, I get

"Navigation to the webpage was canceled

What you can try:
         Refresh the page. "

When I refresh the page, I get :-

This program cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
         Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected. 

Retype the address. 

Go back to the previous page.

More information

i.e., it looks like the PC is not connected to the internet (which is is). I think it is something to do with Security in IE8(?) but I'm not sure.

Any ideas please?

regards

Dave
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:33 PM

All replies

• I've just tried it and I get the same thing.  The Help Pane just says what you said.  I haven't used the pane for several years so I don't know if this is part of the Microsoft scrapping procedure but it is obvious that you have not (probably) done anything to cause it.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for the feedback. I had not used the Help Page for a long time either. I was just trying to fix the broken help page to pre-empt the question from my m-i-l (see previous post) when she tried to invoke the Help pages!

If I can't find a fix, I'll just tell her that "Micrsoft broke it" :-)

regards

Dave
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:58 PM
  • There is a pdf Guide in the Money 2005 Program Files folder which explains that Money Help is online.

Microsoft has removed most of the Money related documentation and support files, now that it no longer supports Money.

While no-one would expect the documentation for a program which is no longer supported to be updated you may think, as I do, that destroying the support documentation for a program which is likely to continue in use for many years is vandalism and shows no respect for Microsoft's customers.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Dominic,

yes, I'd agree with you!

You'd have thought that retaining the help files on the microsoft servers would be not be too much to ask - but obviously it is! Not really surprising though - I'm not sure that I've seen much evidence from MS of "customer respect" anywhere else!

regards

Dave
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Try the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset stand-alone help files. The operations would mostly be similar to Money 2005 UK. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=16465
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:16 AM
  • Hi Cal,

thanks a lot for the pointer, that will certainly help.

I initially thought that there was a problem with the CHM help file too, but it's another "security enhancement" in Windows 7.

When I first opened the CHM file, all of the topics were shown in the left hand pane, but the help details pane displayed :-

"Navigation to the webpage was canceled

What you can try:
         Retype the address."

For anyone else who doesn't know...... This is because the file came from the Internet. (Thanks Google!)

Right-clicking on the file and showing Properties, shows "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."

Selecting the "Unblock" button allows the help details to be displayed.

Thanks again,

Regards

Dave
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Hm, if I try running the chm directly (from Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\WebCache) I get a script error within the chm file.  That also happens with the chm from the original Money install disk.  Right-clicking on the file and showing Properties shows no sign of a "This file came from another computer and might be blocked" message or an Unblock option.  If it works for you, nice one.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:46 AM
  • Yeah, another symptom of that UAC crap with Windows 7 I think.

I just tried it in the same location as you, even unblocking the file in that WebCache directory did not allow the help text to be displayed so I just tried extracting the file to another directory and right clicked on the properties thing to unblock access to the file in the temporary location.

Then copied it into Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\WebCache

It seemed to work then

regards

Dave

Dave
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:31 PM