PIII WHS build RRS feed

• Question

• Hey folks,

I've got two, literally "garbage" machines that I've picked up and plan to revitalize at least one as a WHS build.  I've been a long-time AMD guy so I'm not too savvy on Intel's architecture, yet, but am looking to buy a decent PIII processor on ebay to go with one of the boards that I've picked up.  I'm looking to the folks with PIII experience to chime in here...

One board is based on an Intel 815 northbridge with an Intel 82801BA southbridge and currently has a PIII 733MHz chip on it.  This was pulled from an old Gateway.  The other board is a Soyo board (7VMA-B) based on (according to the manual) a Via PM133 northbridge and a Via VT82C686B southbridge (the southrbridge is exposed so I can see it - the northbridge has a HSF on it).  It has a Via C3 650MHz CPU in it right now.  Both are Socket 370 boards.  Don't mind picking up a faster chip on Ebay - looking for a 1GHz PIII that works with one of these boards but there's literally like 7 or 8 chips that are all this same clock speed and I believe the same socket-type per Intel's site and I don't know which to look for or get.

Oh, and I'm also going to be adding a SATA PCI card to support at least two SATA drives that I plan to add to this build and will put at least one of the ports on a mobile rack at the front of the case for hot-swapping - any recommendations on a relatively affordable SATA PCI card with at least two internal SATA ports?  I presume they're all bootable as long as the motherboard BIOS supports it right?

So far I've got a case and PSU picked out and two of the hard drives in my current PC will be going in (two Seagate 320GB 7200.10 SATA drivers) along with one of the boards above and 512MB of PC100 mem and will throw in a cheap NIC, USB 2.0 card, and DVD-ROM.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 3:05 AM

All replies

• The P3 733 and the Intel 815 motherboard will run WHS just fine. It wont be a speed demon, But if you are going to use the WHS for what it is and not install alot of other applications you wont need the speed.

I have one server setup with 2 P3 733's and i can barely get one cpu up to 75% and the other sits at about 20% .

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 3:19 AM
  • First things to check are: does all the hardware on those particular motherboards etc., have Windows Server 2003 drivers available. If not, you MAY be able to get by with XP drivers, but could be difficult.

Hot swapping of drives isn't supported and WHS won't be able to manage any pooled drives that are hot-swapped.

You need to check the drivers for your SATA card and NIC card also, as they will need W2k3 drivers.

Don't forget that your initial bootable system drive will need to be as large as you have available - Microsoft recommend it being the largest disk in your system.

Colin

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 3:28 PM
  • I wouldn't bother with the 815 based board, the chipset can only access 512MB of RAM. For the other board I'd only use it if I had all the parts nessasary but I wouldn't invest in a new CPU or memory, the money could get much better use on a new system.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 2:21 AM
  • Good point on the chipset variations...was trying to find info regarding maximum-addressable memory - odd though - this board has three DIMM slots?  Not sure how you'd achieve 512 short of 128+128+256...seems odd to manufacture it that way.  I swore I saw 1.5GB somewhere...at the least I found the manual online for the Soyo PIII board and I know that supports 1.5GB of RAM.

As for drivers and such, the NIC and SATA controller were selected specifically because they have Win2k3 drivers available - as will the USB 2.0 card.  I'm going to disable onboard sound and legacy I/O in BIOS anyway so I'm not concerned about those drivers and I would imagine onboard video - even if standard VGA drivers were used - is fine for me as I'd only need it for setup.

That's disappointing that WHS doesn't support hot-swapping - I mean, I know in the sense that you must advise WHS you're removing a drive so it can migrate files off the drive if room is available elsewhere, but you still have to power down to add/remove the hardware?  Granted, I don't know how often I'd be swapping a drive - but it'd be nice.
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:01 AM