Media Player error message RRS feed

• Question

• I just did a clean install of Windows 7 64bit. Now every time I try to open windows media player I get the following message.

"the file wmploc.dll has a version number of 12.0.7600.16667 where 12.0.601.17514 was expected. Windows media player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled. do you want to install the player from the microsoft web site?"  

When I click yes it expects me to buy windows 7. I tried putting my windows 7 cd thinking I could just do a repair but it is wanting me to re install everything. 

Someone PLEASE HELP.  I have tried for 3 days to fix this problem.

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• You could uninstall WMP and use a free media player instead.  VLC is great and seems to work with any media files

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum is to Discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios. Please first check the FAQ before posting a question. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thank you,
    Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak Please click "Mark as Answered" if a post solves your problem Please click "Vote As Helpful" if you find the answer helpful

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:13 PM
  • You have to ask this question in the Windows Answers Forum at the following address

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

Also try performing an integrity check of system files: open a command prompt window and run the command

sfc /scannow

Wait for the end and reboot your system.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:10 PM