Questions on migrating to a new server RRS feed

• Question

• I am migrating my WHS to new hardware.  I have setup my new box and copied over all of the files in the Shared area from my original WHS.  I want to now change my new server to have the same Computer name and IP address as my original server - but I am worried that my client PCs may become confused.  (I want to keep the same Computer Name and IP so that I keep all mappings on my clients and other devices such as MCE PC, Sage clients, etc.)

Here is what I want to do:
    1. Change Computer name and IP on old server.
    2. Shutdown old server. 
    3. Change Computer name and IP on new server to former name and IP of old server.
    4. Reboot new server.
    5. Reboot old server.

What will this do to all of the WHS clients on my network - will they become confused as they see a server that has the same name and IP but it doesn't have any backups?  Is this even a problem - will the server just start with an initial backup of the entire PC rather than an incremental backup?  Do I have to rerun Discovery on my clients or does that even matter?

Or am I doing this all wrong and should I do something else instead?

Can I still keep my old server around for a few weeks just in case I missed any files from the old server or have to restore one of my PCs?

Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:40 AM

Answers

• Indeed I have performed a similar scenario, as I migrated from a self built system to the Scaleo Home Server (but with two different WHS licenses, which may make a difference in regard to you last question).
    If you are changing the IP address, don't forget to adjust DNS server settings to point to your default gateway as well, also enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on your WHS. (Or do you assign the IP address via MAC based reservation from router?
    On the clients you may have to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server to reestablish the connection - which you should not do, as long as not all Windows Updates have applied to the server.
    Name resolution can become an issue temporary, especially if devices are caching some information.
    ipconfig /flushdns
    on each client should take care, eventually a reboot of client and server and some patience to rebuild the naming list.
    The user accounts must also be recreated (although I successfully migrated them with a 3rd party tool, since I wanted to avoid asking everybody for their password again, but this was also not that simple).
    Don't forget to unconfigure Remote Access on your old server and register the homeserver.com domain with the same live ID.
    The clients are not having problems with seeing a server without backups.
    If the backups are good and bot machines are on at the same time, it would be possible to copy them (there have been posted infos on various places, how to backup and restore the backup database, it would be the same way involving access to the Administrative share D$ on the target machine). Be aware, that copying that amount of data over the network can take a long time - and this is unsupported. However, given the sensibility of the backup database in some situations it may be recommendable to start over here as well.
    Best greetings from Germany
    OLaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, December 27, 2008 3:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by wayner9 Monday, December 29, 2008 4:45 PM
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:55 AM

All replies

• Indeed I have performed a similar scenario, as I migrated from a self built system to the Scaleo Home Server (but with two different WHS licenses, which may make a difference in regard to you last question).
    If you are changing the IP address, don't forget to adjust DNS server settings to point to your default gateway as well, also enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on your WHS. (Or do you assign the IP address via MAC based reservation from router?
    On the clients you may have to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server to reestablish the connection - which you should not do, as long as not all Windows Updates have applied to the server.
    Name resolution can become an issue temporary, especially if devices are caching some information.
    ipconfig /flushdns
    on each client should take care, eventually a reboot of client and server and some patience to rebuild the naming list.
    The user accounts must also be recreated (although I successfully migrated them with a 3rd party tool, since I wanted to avoid asking everybody for their password again, but this was also not that simple).
    Don't forget to unconfigure Remote Access on your old server and register the homeserver.com domain with the same live ID.
    The clients are not having problems with seeing a server without backups.
    If the backups are good and bot machines are on at the same time, it would be possible to copy them (there have been posted infos on various places, how to backup and restore the backup database, it would be the same way involving access to the Administrative share D$ on the target machine). Be aware, that copying that amount of data over the network can take a long time - and this is unsupported. However, given the sensibility of the backup database in some situations it may be recommendable to start over here as well.
    OLaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, December 27, 2008 3:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by wayner9 Monday, December 29, 2008 4:45 PM
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:55 AM
  • I am familiar with setting static IPs - I generally just set the gateway and DNS server(s) and I don't do it based on MAC addresses.  I have never changed NetBIOS - is it realy needed?  I also keep a local hosts file on each PC on my network.

In terms of updates - I installed the OS a few days ago and have applied all WHS updates so that shouldn't be an issue.

I have created the new user accounts which wasn't a big deal since there is pretty much just a couple user IDs.

I am not too concerned about copying the backups as assuming that none of my clients dies in the next few days then the backups become obsolete pretty quickly.  I will keep the old server around for a little bit just in case.

If I just renamed the servers without doing anything on the clients would I be okay?  The clients would see a WHS server at the same IP and servername as before - it is just different hardware but would the clients even know? 

Or to be safe should I even uninstall the WHS client software and then reinstall on all clients?

Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:23 PM
  • wayner9 said:

Or to be safe should I even uninstall the WHS client software and then reinstall on all clients?

I would, that way you can reconfigure the backups on the new server.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Running discovery.exe should be enough in this case. I only would recommend to have the clients down, while the rename happens (or stop the client Windows Home Server Connector service on the clients).
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 9:51 PM
  • Just to provide some closure on this - I went for the safe route and uninstalled the WHS Connector Client software from all PCs first.  Then I shut down all clients and I renamed and re-IPed the old server and shut it down.  I changed name and IP on the new server and rebooted.  Then I went to all clients and reinstalled the connector software.

All appears to be going well with at least one backup on each client and all clients and other devices still see the shares to my Shared Folders.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 4:47 PM