My laptop is now saying at the bottom of the screen the windows 7 is not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Toshiba lap top about 3 years old. It has been broken for a while I beleive it was something about the hard drive. It was my mothers previously. Now when we got it fixed the guy put a new hard drive in and then it worked fine and has been since August. Over the past few weeks it has gotten so slow. it takes about 15 min for everything to load up. i cannot click on anything for about 20 min or else it'll freeze. ive tryed using my anti malware protector (MalewareBytes) andit hasnt shown anything yet. Now i cannot even load anything. I notice at the bottom right hand corner it says "Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not Genuine" Now I've looked up this on another computer and it says to reenter the product key. but the windows 7 i am using is Windows 7 Ultimate. And the product key is for home premium. I am Unsure what to do and I really need this laptop to be fixed for my class on Thursday. Anyhelp?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:36 AM

Answers

• sounds like a case of malware infestation.

You say you are using MalwareBytes - but what are you using as an AV?? have you updated MalwareBytes before running it?

If the COA sticker is for Home Premium and the current install is Ultimate - how did you do the upgrade? (from where did you get the license?)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:16 AM