Backup/Restore Image - How Will This Affect My Linux Install? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a WHS and am satisfied with the way it makes an image backup of my PC. What i cannot find the answer to anywhere is whether installing a Linux OS on a seperate partition will cause problems.

I assume and accept that WHS won't be able to backup anything while i am using Linux, but when in Windows will backup/restore images mess up my Linux partition?  Will it backup the entire drive and bootloader/MBR, or just the Windows partition? What happens when i restore an image, does it wipe the entire drive or modify the Windows partition only?

I would be happy even if only Windows was being backed up, so long as i could restore it without foobling the Linux install/GRUB.

I have searched for the answer first before creating a new thread but can only find info relating to backing up the Linux partition which i'm not really interested in doing - i intend to do this by simply moving important files across the network to the WHS.

Thanks in advance!
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:09 PM

All replies

• WHS will only back up an NTFS partition, so if your Linux partition is formatted using NTFS (unlikely) WHS would be able to back it up. If not, then it won't back up.

As for restoring, if you are only restoring the Windows partition, then you should have no problem. You will not be able to restore the entire drive, though, should the drive fail, because there are partitions not formatted using NTFS. So you may have trouble in that scenario, since WHS will not be able to fully recreate the partition table, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

WHS will only back up an NTFS partition, so if your Linux partition is formatted using NTFS (unlikely) WHS would be able to back it up. If not, then it won't back up.

As for restoring, if you are only restoring the Windows partition, then you should have no problem. You will not be able to restore the entire drive, though, should the drive fail, because there are partitions not formatted using NTFS. So you may have trouble in that scenario, since WHS will not be able to fully recreate the partition table, etc.

Hi Ken, thanks for your reply.

I understand your post with regard to the NTFS file format and understand that my WHS cannot image my Linux partition, thanks for clearing that up.

Are you aware if when i came to restor my Windows partition early if i would experience issues due to having a different bootloader (GRUB), or does WHS image just write to the C:\ partition only?

Thanks for your time.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 10:12 PM
  • I'm not a Linux expert by any means, but isn't GRUB normally on it's own tiny partition? In which case, I would not expect that a WHS restore would touch it, as I doubt it would be an NTFS partition.

As far as what partition WHS will write to, if there are several partitions on the disk, WHS will offer the option of restoring to any partition that's large enough to hold the entire backed up partition. The rule of thumb is that only a partition at least as large as the original backe up partition will be sufficient.

Monday, February 23, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I've been meaning to say thanks for a while, apologies for not getting back to you.

I've installed XP and Ubuntu and all appears to be OK.  I'm still unsure as to whether the WHS can restore the XP partition OK, but i am happy wo live with this uncertainty as most of my work is done in Ubuntu, and XP is for the few applications that do not run prroperly in Linux.

Cheers!
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Hi Andy and Ken,

Grub overwrites the MBR most times I would expect that a whs would overwrite it. But the good side is you can use Super Grub Disk http://www.supergrubdisk.org/  to reinstall grub.  I have reinstalled grub many times with this and it farely easy.  There is also a auto installer that runs from windows which can also fix it.  You can get it from the same website above.  Here is a wiki / tutorial on how to use the auto installer.  http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/AutoSuperGrubDisk

Hope it helps
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:35 PM