none
NNTP Bridge - slow and "flaky"? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been a long time reader / periodic poster on the NNTP newsgroups, which are now going away.  I've much preferred the reader-interface used there to the forums here as there is significantly less clutter (can easily scan down lists of posts for topics of interest or things I might be able to answer).  So, I'm trying to use the NNTP Bridge to allow me to access these forums from Thunderbird.  However, I've had very limited success.

First of all, it is HORRENDOUSLY slow - it takes several minutes just to retrieve ~100 headers.  It takes 5-10 seconds to actually retrieve a message.  It seems to randomly disconnect Thunderbird.  It finally seemed to be staying up last Friday, so I left it sitting over the weekend simply retrieving headers (not even the message bodies) so I could browse the groups that nex week.  I come in Monday morning and the NNTP Bridge has thrown an OutOfMemoryException and very few of the headers were retrieved.

Is anyone else using this?  How has it been working for you?  The "real" NNTP newsgroups (microsoft.public.*) have always worked great for me, so I'm surprised this is performing so badly for me.

Friday, July 2, 2010 3:07 AM

Answers