CRM 2011: custom workflow creates an infinite loop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i don't know if my question is exactly related to development section. apologies if it's not,

The scenario is something like this, i am creating a custom workflow which fires when a custom entity's statusreason is changed. then it checks for somevalue (validity of some fields) within the entity. if those values are not/are valid it changes the status reason to a different status reason and exits. i am using xrm service context class and these are the two lines where i am trying to save the entity.

crm.UpdateObject(objEntity);

crm.SaveChanges();

now my problem is since the workflow is triggered after the status reason gets changed, the workflow gets triggered again and does the same checks over and over again in a infinite loop. what is the workaround so that the workflow can only gets kicked once.

thanks in advance

im

Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:49 PM

Answers

• In CRM workflow, you can check the workflow excution context object's Depth property.

If I understand you correctly, the following code snippet should help you prevent from workflow infinite loop:

IWorkflowContext context = executionContext.GetExtension<IWorkflowContext>();
    if (context.Depth > 1)
      return;

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Daniel Cai | http://danielcai.blogspot.com
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:58 PM

All replies

• In CRM workflow, you can check the workflow excution context object's Depth property.

If I understand you correctly, the following code snippet should help you prevent from workflow infinite loop:

IWorkflowContext context = executionContext.GetExtension<IWorkflowContext>();
    if (context.Depth > 1)
      return;

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Daniel Cai | http://danielcai.blogspot.com
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:58 PM
  • thanks man...much appreciated....
    Friday, July 22, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Thanks mate, You saved my day.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:08 AM