Is it safe to turn on VSS RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen lots of posts, albeit old ones, that say you shouldn't turn on Virtual Shadow Copy Service (VSS) on Windows Home Server.  Back in 2007 it was a known problem with systems using more than one disk and also on HP MSS units.

My question is did this get fixed under the radar in PP3?  Has anyone testing this and is there any further information from MS on this as a lot of thread though closed still remain answered after more than a year.  As the prime role of Windows Home Server could be argued as data storage and backup it seems a very noble MS component that isn't in use on WHS.

Thanks,
    Al
    --
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 2:54 AM

Answers

• Volume Shadowcopy Service is still bugged on Windows Home Server. My (realistic) assessment is that it will never work on this version of the product without a significant workaround, because Microsoft is unlikely to go back and re-write either Drive Extender again (it was reworked extensively for Power Pack 1) or VSS (which is a part of the base operating system, Windows Server 2003).

I can't say if it will work on a future version of the product; Microsoft hasn't released those details to the public.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Al West Monday, January 25, 2010 5:27 PM
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:25 AM