What is the strategic direction of Microsoft to move ahead with Windows Hom Server? Why is it only OEMed? Why can't I buy a license RRS feed

• Question

• What is the strategic direction of Microsoft to move ahead with Windows Hom Server?
    Why is it only OEMed?
    Why can't I buy a license?
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    dependend from your region you can also buy an OEM package online, i.e. at Amazon or at Newegg.

The thinking behind is to sell Windows Home Server as an appliance instead of heaving people to work installing the product, which are not IT centric at all. Also it works often better on predefined and designed platforms than on custom hardware. And with an OEM package you are the person who has to do the support.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    dependend from your region you can also buy an OEM package online, i.e. at Amazon or at Newegg.

The thinking behind is to sell Windows Home Server as an appliance instead of heaving people to work installing the product, which are not IT centric at all. Also it works often better on predefined and designed platforms than on custom hardware. And with an OEM package you are the person who has to do the support.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply... greetings from Chicago, 
    And thanks for the advice... so have ordered an oem license from newegg.com. Looking forward to explore this product. Support is not a problem - I trust freinds like you on these forums.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:46 PM
  • I didn't buy the oem package for newegg or Amazon, but did purchase it from directron.com.

Pat
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:01 AM