Any chance of a self-hosting "Mesh Server" in the future? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I think it would be great to have a self-hosted Mesh down the line somewhere.  This would allow for much more file space on the Mesh Desktop.  This would be a great opportunity to connect up with the Windows Home Server team.  It would be great to allow the Home Server to host the Mesh.  That way we can put our own equipment at the center of our computing experience and still retain the "cloud" concept of Live Mesh.  Having Windows Home Server also be a "Mesh Server" would do wonders for both products.  There would be much more file storage, faster sync process (in most cases), and many more.

Anyone know of any plans for this?  I know Live Mesh is still young, but there's always hope.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Interesting suggestion.  Would you mind posting this idea in the Wish List sticky thread?  We're collecting all the great ideas from our community in that thread.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Okay, just posted it there.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:07 PM
  • You can also see a recent interview with David Treadwell.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/04/27/just-say-yes/

"Treadwell: I see your point. That’s one of the things we know we have to do a good job with Mesh; that is, to be IT-friendly, and to give IT control on what kinds of data can and can’t be stored on this thing. In addition, one of the things that we expect to do longer-term is to allow IT departments to operate their own cloud storage mechanisms, such that data owned by that enterprise would only be stored on that enterprise’s devices and that enterprise’s servers. They would never go to Microsoft and they would have complete control of that data."

So it seems it's a future plan but who knows what kind of infrastructure you'll need to support your own cloud.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:24 PM