Strange Server Storage - Have I set it up right? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

Firstly, this form is great for solving any Q's i've had... appreciate all people active on here.

This time I have some Q's of my own:

1. Unfortunately a SQL server/service is running on the C:\ drive and the program using it is giving me grief about the lack of space - Any suggestions as to what to do here? Just move it to the shares somehow? It wanted to be installed in Program Files originally and I never thought anything of that..

2. I added a new HDD recently and in the network is showing it's 136% over quota! - Is there a way to remedy this?

3. The size of the D:\ DATA share is very strange - is that an OK thing?

Thanks guys, here is a pic of the drives and also what the win7 my computer is showing:

• Edited by T-D-D Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:48 AM clarifying
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:46 AM

Answers

• Pay no attention to those.  Go by what is shown in the Server Storage tab in the WHS Console.  Drive Extender causes the strange readings you see in the Disk Management.  Remember, WHS was developed to be managed from the WHS Console and not the desktop.  Many of us do it from the desktop, but it is unsupported.  If you aren't careful, you can easily break WHS.  A good (I use it) disk management add-in is available here:

http://www.mswhs.com/2010/02/add-in-disk-management-for-windows-home-server-1-1-2-1997/

Well, it is a review of it, but there is a download link at the end that will take you to the developers site.

As to the C drive filling up, what shown is most likely accurate.   The easiest and safest way to overcome the size is to add another drive, but not add it to the storage pool.  Instead, go to Disk Management and assign it a drive letter.  Do not, I repeat, do not mess with any of the drives that have Data as the drive Label name.  I assigned the drive letter of "U" to my non storage pool drive and labeled it "Outside" for easy recognition.

Now uninstall all the extra programs you installed from the desktop and reinstall them to the "U:/Program Files/xxxxx(Program Name)".  This will free up room on your C drive.  Most program installers give you the option to install to another location, some don't, and those will have to go to C:/Program Files/xxxxx.

Also, take a look at moving your page file off of C onto the non-storage pool drive and turning off hibernation.  This will free up a few more GB's on C.  Do not move the page file to D or install any programs to D under any circumstances.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hi Team,

Firstly, this form is great for solving any Q's i've had... appreciate all people active on here.

1. Unfortunately a SQL server/service is running on the C:\ drive and the program using it is giving me grief about the lack of space - Any suggestions as to what to do here? Just move it to the shares somehow? It wanted to be installed in Program Files originally and I never thought anything of that..

2. I added a new HDD recently and in the network is showing it's 136% over quota! - Is there a way to remedy this?

Thanks guys, here is a pic of the drives and also what the win7 my computer is showing:

<http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/61408/>

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by T-D-D Friday, February 3, 2012 8:20 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:32 PM

All replies

• Pay no attention to those.  Go by what is shown in the Server Storage tab in the WHS Console.  Drive Extender causes the strange readings you see in the Disk Management.  Remember, WHS was developed to be managed from the WHS Console and not the desktop.  Many of us do it from the desktop, but it is unsupported.  If you aren't careful, you can easily break WHS.  A good (I use it) disk management add-in is available here:

http://www.mswhs.com/2010/02/add-in-disk-management-for-windows-home-server-1-1-2-1997/

Well, it is a review of it, but there is a download link at the end that will take you to the developers site.

As to the C drive filling up, what shown is most likely accurate.   The easiest and safest way to overcome the size is to add another drive, but not add it to the storage pool.  Instead, go to Disk Management and assign it a drive letter.  Do not, I repeat, do not mess with any of the drives that have Data as the drive Label name.  I assigned the drive letter of "U" to my non storage pool drive and labeled it "Outside" for easy recognition.

Now uninstall all the extra programs you installed from the desktop and reinstall them to the "U:/Program Files/xxxxx(Program Name)".  This will free up room on your C drive.  Most program installers give you the option to install to another location, some don't, and those will have to go to C:/Program Files/xxxxx.

Also, take a look at moving your page file off of C onto the non-storage pool drive and turning off hibernation.  This will free up a few more GB's on C.  Do not move the page file to D or install any programs to D under any circumstances.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hi Team,

<http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/61408/>

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by T-D-D Friday, February 3, 2012 8:20 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Thanks BD, that's a relief!

I don't look outside console often and when i saw that i freaked!

Any ideas on the misrepresentation of the drive availability from network computers?

I have the disk manager program and here's a screen pic of it:

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 10:37 PM
  • ... Any ideas on the misrepresentation of the drive availability from network computers?

Ignore it, as Bulldawg said. It's wrong, but it's an artifact of Drive Extender which can't be avoided.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:47 AM
  • Thanks Ken!

Do you know anything about the mis-representation of space on network PC's?

Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Please re-read my reply...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Gotcha, sorry Ken. Both are just 'ignore' items.. Too easy!

Relieved after all that.

Friday, February 3, 2012 8:21 AM