Backup dates not changing since 10/27/08 RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi everyone....Checking my server this morn I saw that I have 7 backups for all the computers all dated 10/27/08. Checked the event veiwer also noticed no new events listed past the same date. everything seems to be ok. the only other error has to do with a volsnap that was deleted. 

The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\L were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

That's it. 
    Thanks for the help as always.
    Gene

Sunday, November 2, 2008 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hey just wanted to say that everything seems ok .....not sure what happened but after reseting the time and date it seems ok. Thanks everyone for the replys and advise. This is the most helpful fourm I've ever been a part of!
    Gene
    • Marked as answer by ebd Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:02 AM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:01 AM

All replies

• ebd said:

Hi everyone....Checking my server this morn I saw that I have 7 backups for all the computers all dated 10/27/08. Checked the event veiwer also noticed no new events listed past the same date. everything seems to be ok. the only other error has to do with a volsnap that was deleted. 

The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\L were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

That's it. 
    Thanks for the help as always.
    Gene

Hmmm, that's odd.  Perhaps the Console is "stuck".  Have you tried resetting the Console?  (Open the Console from a client PC, click Options, then select Reset the Windows Home Server Console, then click OK)
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Gene,

From the first part of your message, do you mean you haven't had ANY backups since the 27th and there are no errors shown in either the Server or Client logs?
    If so, have you tried re-booting the server and can you do Manual Backups from each of the Clients with no problems? Also, have you re-set the Actual Console, this is achieved from the Options Menu underneath the password box, when you first call you the Console.

The second part of your message, re the 'shadow copies' isn't a great problem, it just means at that time, it wasn't possible to do shadow copies for that drive at that time. This would have generated the 'previous versions' of any of your files stored on that drive; however, this would have been repeated 12 hours later - successfully, it appears.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:24 PM
  • Thanks for the replys....I did reset the console....no change....I have 7 backups dated from the 27th so counting forward that brings me to today!
    I checked the time on the server desktop date was monday oct 27 2008 2am... reset the time. so it seems the server got stuck some how on that date?
    also restated the server...no change. I think it's been backing up. I get no notfication otherwise. Just seems kinda odd no?
    Gene
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Hi Gene,
    well, if the server has that date at the time of backup, the backup will show this false date. I know of no method, to correct the wrong date of a backup afterwards.
    The more interesting question is, why the clock stucks at all - is it old hardware or a modern system?
    If it is old hardware, the battery controlling the RTC could be empty or some component on the mainboard is faulty.
    Do you send the server to sleep or power it off most of the day?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:51 PM
  • Hi Olaf....just checked the server, it's set to always on with no hibernation. HDD's are set to always on. I don't have any other problems with the server,
    nothing in the event viewer. The hardware is somewhat older, But this was a computer I used for a good long time without problems. All the win2003 drivers are loaded. I wonder if there was an update on that date and the server restarted? Maybe if the CMOS battery was bad it would change the dated and time?
    Gene
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:16 PM
  • Hi Gene,
    if you login via Remote Desktop or locally and watch the system clock (in system tray, maybe you have to enable this first in taskbar properties).
    Does it go forward?
    Does it have an Internet Time Server configured and can it reach this?
    (A recommandable time source is pool.ntp.org)
    I don't assume there is running a repeated scheduled task or something like that, which includes a hardcoded time setting, but I want to point this possibility out as well.
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Just logged on to the server...time moves forward like normal. the internet sync is set to windows.time.net or something like that. i forced a sync and that did go thru. i do get time sync errors in the event viewer sometimes. could it be a firewall thing? no tasks running that i know of.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:54 PM
  • ebd said:

Just logged on to the server...time moves forward like normal. the internet sync is set to windows.time.net or something like that. i forced a sync and that did go thru. i do get time sync errors in the event viewer sometimes. could it be a firewall thing? no tasks running that i know of.

time.windows.com is not very reliable, because it is often overloaded.
    This could cause the sync errors you see.
    Still strange and mysterious at all then.
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 11:05 PM
  • I find I have to force internet time synchronization on the WHS server at least once a day. Otherwise, errors show up in event log. Time updating works fine manually & automatically, but it seems like WHS requires it more than one time update per day.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Hey just wanted to say that everything seems ok .....not sure what happened but after reseting the time and date it seems ok. Thanks everyone for the replys and advise. This is the most helpful fourm I've ever been a part of!
    Gene
    • Marked as answer by ebd Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:02 AM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:01 AM